New job for Nick

16 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

(@banre)
Reputable Member

Wow, is that salvagable? I can understand being able to repair cracks in the tops and stuff, but that thing is missing a huge section of wood on the side.

I would be interested if Nick or another luthier type person would enlighten on how to go about fixing that.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Oh it is definitly salvagable, almost all woodwork is, it can just get expensive.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

$225?

He's crazy. You'd have to bend a new side and match the stain AND fix the top.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

$225?

He's crazy. You'd have to bend a new side and match the stain AND fix the top.

Exactly.. I'd toss that thing on the fire if I were him.... :roll: :roll:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Cool! In my mind I was thinking correctly. To fix that thing you would actually have to take some wood and bend it into shape to match the curvature of the guitar. That can't be an easy thing to do.

My dad was really into woodworking back when I was growing up, so I have some base of knowledge. I am interested in attempting trying a kit or something when I get some free time (yeah, right, what's this "free time"?). I think that would be a fun project. As it is, I'll just keep reading the stuff you guys patch up, refinish, or whatever to get some thoughts on how to go about it.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

With a hole that size, I'd be looking at $2.25 inc. case. As for the Strat, it's difficult to tell without actually handling it. Someone's left it in a pretty damp environment for quite some time, by the looks of it - look at the state of the fretboard. It's possible that it's fixable, but I suspect that the wood may have been possibly left too long in the wet. Looking closely, the top of the neck appears to be splitting over the truss rod channel, which could mean that the truss rod is rusty beyond use.
Being realistic, I think that you're going to be replacing everything, so it's cheaper to buy a new one.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

With a hole that size, I'd be looking at $2.25 inc. case. As for the Strat, it's difficult to tell without actually handling it. Someone's left it in a pretty damp environment for quite some time, by the looks of it - look at the state of the fretboard. It's possible that it's fixable, but I suspect that the wood may have been possibly left too long in the wet. Looking closely, the top of the neck appears to be splitting over the truss rod channel, which could mean that the truss rod is rusty beyond use.
Being realistic, I think that you're going to be replacing everything, so it's cheaper to buy a new one.

I found that image a long time ago. I have no idea who's guitar it was or what hasppened to it.
in some ways I find it beautiful. I posted it more as a lark in this thread.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Only thing it's good for is salvaging the tuners for something like a lap steel project.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

I found that image a long time ago. I have no idea who's guitar it was or what hasppened to it.
in some ways I find it beautiful. I posted it more as a lark in this thread.

That thing looks a lot like some of the pics I have seen from post-Katrina New Orleans. There were many musicians that have lost all their instruments to the water damage. I was in GC one day and a guy that lived on the beach in Mississippi was there using a bonus check to buy a replacement acoustic and electric. I talked to him for a while. He had lost 3 amps, 4 electrics and several acoustics. He was buying one of each just to have something to play.

In fact, that Edge of U2 fame has setup a specific charity to help these people begin to replace them. http://www.grammy.com/musicares/musicrising/

Sorry for the hijack. I just tend to want to make sure people don't assume that everything is roses down this way already.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Dogbite,
I saw that pic a couple of years ago, I've no idea where it came from, or what had happened to the guitar. I gave a kind of hypothetical answer to a hypothetical question :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Wouldn't it cost the exact same. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

is this repairable ? ;)

If you call turning it into a clock 'repairable,' then yes, it's repairable.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

im sure someone who was a skilled woodworker could fix that

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2