Clear all

New Tele fret help

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just picked up a new Squire Affinity Telecaster today. A music store named "Sam Goode" at the mall by me is going out of business, and I got one of the ones they still had sealed up in the original boxes for $118. Thought the deal was too good to pass up, and I have been gassin' for a Tele! I unboxed it, and it looks & plays great, except that the frets are a little rough at the edges. The only other brand new guitar I've purchased was an Epi LP, and the frets were great. Anything I can do to smooth them out?

I don't have a digital camera, but this is the one I have:

Thanks,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Nice, Dan.

What I know about fret dressing is they usually get filed down by a luthier or other setup expert. I'm willing to bet a lot of the players here can do that. You would need special files and a heck of a lot of patience as to not damage the fretboard.

I also have a feeling that if it's been kept in a semi dry environment, that has a tendency to shrink the wood some. You might want to see what happens after it's at your place for a week or two.

The place I bought my Deluxe from says guitars tend to do that in the midwest because our winters are so dry.

My Schecter was effected by it.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice Bish. If it doesn't get better within a week or two, I'll take it in to get it done. After thinknig about it, that would be alot of tedious work.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

humidity/dryness could be a factor.
anoher truism is Squires and opther less costly guitars just dont have the precise finishing wortk done on them.
American Strats have frets that are properly dressed.

you can dress them yourself.
tape off the are on both sides of the frets (protecting the neck wood).
then carefulkly, with a fine file, smooth the frets so they atre flush with the neck wood. tricky business. one slip and you nicked the wood. smooth the file work with 600 grit emery paper.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

tricky business. one slip and you nicked the wood.

Yep, definately will be taking it in for any work done! :wink: I think they just didn't finish the frets properly. Guess you gotta expect that on a less expensive guitar. I basically got it to use as my main slide guitar anyways. Thanks dogbite.

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

This is one reason I've never bought a guitar online. The cheaper brands from the big manufacturers - Fender's Squier, Gibson's Epi - are great guitars. I couldn't be happier with my Squier Standard Tele, which I play (lots) more than my genuine USA '78 Strat. BUT they're very variable in my experience. The best are as good as the "real thing" - while the worst are ... less good :?

When my wife & I bought my Tele, we went to our nearest Fender main dealer, and I played most of the Teles in the shop, till this one said, "Take me home!" But some of the Squiers, esp. the Affinities, did have those sprouting frets :(

I agree - get them dressed properly if they don't settle in a few weeks. They may - my Squier didn't hold tune well for the first couple of months - now, three years down the line, it holds tune better than the old Strat!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Probably best to pay a pro to have that done.

But here is a website about refretting a guitar.

See "Beveling the Fret Ends" about half way down the page.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/Fretting3.htm

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote