Clear all

Strings?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mercymefan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a question, I have had my first steel string guitar for a little over a year, and I was wondering, how often should you put on new strings?

And how hard is it to put strings on a steel string guitar? I've restringed a classic guitar, with nylon strings, but never a steel string, so I was wondering how hard that would be to restring?

Thanks for any help :)

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Hi MMF,

Guitarists like to change strings whenever one breaks. Dont be cheap. If one go's, change 'em all. People also like to change strings whenever they hear a noticeable loss of sound quality. Some say that they should be changed once a month but its really up to you. If you think they sound fine then it isnt really necessary. Just change 'em whenever they start to sound bad.

EDIT: Also, it isnt hard at all to change strings on an elec. Ya just feed the strings through the back of the guitar and up through the bridge. Its a bit time consuming though. You'll have to wind the tuners for ages if you dont have a string winder. You'll also have to stretch 'em.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Like VM said , change them when you notice a loss in the tone you want. there are plenty of guides on the net if you want to google it.
the only thing i would be worried about would be a "floating bridge" that would be a bridge that is not attached to the top of the guitar.
i assume you have an acoustic guitar so this wouldn't be an issue.
if not then make sure you mark where the bridge needs to be with some tape or change the strings one at a time.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@mercymefan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes I do have an acoustic, thanks for the help guys :)

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Here's a link that may be of some help.
http://www.guitartips.addr.com/tip142.html

I change my strings about every month, I went three months once and couldn't believe what a difference new strings made. The tone quality change is so gradual that you may not notice until the strings are real bad.

I take it your a fan of MercyMe. I saw them several years ago when they where the house band for Sheperd Ministries. Got a chance to talk to them, a nice bunch of kids.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@mercymefan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yep I am most defintly a MercyMe fan :) That sounds cool, there music is really great, and that was what started me on really learning guitar :)

ReplyQuote