Nick - Help! I cracked my guitar!!

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Nick,

David Hodge recommended I direct this question to you. I managed to put a crack in the side of my acoustic guitar this weekend. Got stuck walking out of an elevator with my guitar in a soft sided case on my back. I managed to get out of the elevator but the doors closed (fairly hard I might add) on the guitar putting a slight dent (hardly noticeable) and a nice crack along the side of the guitar.

The soundboard wasn't effected at all so I think I'm fine for now. Just want to know if you've got any recommendations for glueing the crack so it doesn't get any worse. It's a pretty inexpensive guitar so I'm not willing to spend a bunch to fix it.

Thanks.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sure, if you send me a picture of the crack I can help.

You will need a bicycle inner tube, some precut wood biscuits and some white glue. I use titebond II but you can use Elmers woodworking pro.

Email me the pics and I'll tell you how to go. Side cracks are the best you can hope for. Back and top are much worse.

ReplyQuote
(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Email me the pics and I'll tell you how to go. Side cracks are the best you can hope for. Back and top are much worse.

Shall do - as soon as I figure out where the kids hid the camera ;-)

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I use titebond II but you can use Elmers woodworking pro.

Nick-

Why titebond II? Specific to this type of repair, as it's more flexible and waterproof than original titebond?

I ask because I've seen rec's against II for neck setting because of creep after hardening. Obviously a neck reset is a very different application than crack repair.

Also, I have to reglue a twelve string bridge sometime soon and intend to use original titebond plus add a Bridge Doctor. Any reason I shouldn't use original?

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Exactly, but either will do really.

I think titebond I, II or Elmers Pro Woodworking for a bridge would be fine. I like to use something that can handle a little flex. The bridge and top move a lot. Heat, humidity etc can cause minor changes. With a bridge doctor you could probably use Elmer's Glue stick and you'd be okay. (well not really)

For the neck I would probably stick to Titebond I.

ReplyQuote