Clear all

Nut adjustment

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, Ive done setups before. Advice on how to do one, came from this site actually. Since then I've helped friends do their setups. Ive been wondering about nut adjustment. I have never done this before and the articles that I have read suggest it is best left to a pro.

If the nut is already set for the string gauge can the nut height be adjusted in the same manner as the saddle -- sanding off the bottom? If not, why not?

Cheers,

Max

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If the nut is already set for the string gauge can the nut height be adjusted in the same manner as the saddle -- sanding off the bottom? If not, why not?
You could do it that way but it is the hardest way to do it. The way to lower the strings at the nut is to lower the slots in the nut one at a time.

There is a brief description on how to measure and adjust the nut on my setup page.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yes I read over the description on your page as well as some others. I was just thinking of a way to do it without the files. I would expect it to be easier to sand off the bottom. Less skill involved, but no one recommended doing it that way. Why is that way harder? I know there must be a reason, I just can't figure one out.

My brother thinks the nut might be too high on his new guitar. Ill check the next time we get together.

Thanks Nils

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It is just simply more difficult and no one likes to attack it is because it is no different than replacing a nut. You have to remove it which can be a pain because it is typically stuck in by the paint and or sealer all around it. Plus the slots are usually different heights and that must be taken into consideration.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok you sold me. I will not be playing with the nut.

Thanks

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@presbystrat)
Eminent Member

Nut files are pretty expensive but I have found a way around that. I used some needle files I purchased at Radio Shack for $12.99 for the low E, A, & A strings. I used a 12/1000ths Exacto microsaw I purchased in a crafts store for $8.99 for the G, B & high E strings. It's not really hard; just take it slow.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've often seen the pros do one of those adjustments. Then they usually spit tobacco juice.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote