Skip to content
nut replacement &am...

Notifications
Clear all

nut replacement & setup - did I get ripped off?

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tyler)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey,
So as a beginner it's somewhat intimidating going into the guitar shop when you don't know what you're talking about. It's even more intimidating when you think you got ripped off but don't know (or sound like you know) enough to argue about it. So, could someone with more experience tell me if I got ripped, and what's the easiest way to solve it?

I had an old guitar (acoustic - Fender F-200) and the nut was chipped so the strings didn't stay where they should. I also was switching from med. to light gauge strings. So the shop guy told me he'd replace the nut and do a set-up, which at the time I didn't know what it meant.

When I got the guitar back, he didn't replace the nut, he just filled in the chips with epoxy or something like that and cut new slots in. But now, one of the strings doesn't move when you turn the tuner until you've twisted enough so it breaks free and makes a 'ping' and then is way too tight/loose, so it's really hard to tune. I don't know if the slot is just too narrow or if the string is digging into the epoxy. The guy also lowered the action (which I guess is part of a set-up) but it's so low that the 6th string buzzes a lot on the first 3 frets. It's also so low that when I tried to use a slide, I can't - it gets high centred on the fret board so I can only hit 5 strings at a time max.

What's the best way to solve this? I'd prefer not to have to go back and fight with the repair guy especially cause I've put this off for over a month. Can I just go to a different shop, buy a new nut and bridge (for relatively cheap) and sand them down to the height I want or will changing the action like this screw up all the set-up work I paid for and mess with things like intonation? Should I just go to a new shop and pay to get another set-up?

Any advise would be great,
Thanks
Tyler

(@lederhoden)
Trusted Member

Take the guitar back and tell him that he told you that he was going to replace the nut and do a set-up.
The nut has not been replaced - you paid for a replacement and want what you paid for. The new nut should also allow the strings, of your chosen gauge, to run freely but not loosely through the nut slots - which he has not provided.
The set-up was also done incorrectly - there should be no fret buzz, unless you specifically requested that he build some in (which I doubt).

Make him give you the service that he sold you and don't ever go back to him again!!!

If you live in Europe, there are more laws than you can shake a stick at to protect consumers from such cowboys

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Yep, lederhosen is right.

He should have asked what style you play to determine the action.

...and although repairing a nut with epoxy isn't unheard of, if you paid for a new one, you should get one.

About your questions, sure you can buy a new nut, it isn't hard to replace. You might as well replace the saddle while you are at it. You just file them down to match the originals. This will be difficult with your nut since it will probably come to pieces as you remove it.

http://www.frets.com has more info, and pictures on replacing your nut.

You shouldn't have paid any more than $50-75 to have your nut replaced and a setup done.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

When I got the guitar back, he didn't replace the nut, he just filled in the chips with epoxy or something like that and cut new slots in. But now, one of the strings doesn't move when you turn the tuner until you've twisted enough so it breaks free and makes a 'ping' and then is way too tight/loose, so it's really hard to tune. I don't know if the slot is just too narrow or if the string is digging into the epoxy. The guy also lowered the action (which I guess is part of a set-up) but it's so low that the 6th string buzzes a lot on the first 3 frets. It's also so low that when I tried to use a slide, I can't - it gets high centred on the fret board so I can only hit 5 strings at a time max.

Take it back and request that he do the work correctly, or refund your money so you can afford to take it to someone competent.

I took my Washburn to Dave, the guitar tech at Richmond Music Center here in Richmond, VA a few years back. (yes I'll name names for the folks local to me - I'm a *very* satisfied customer). It was suffering from years of neglect, and had some serious problems with the neck. When I went to pick it up, he charged me half price because, in his words, "It's a lot better than it was, but I couldn't get it where it should be. It needs a new neck, but you could probably get off cheaper buying a new one of this model."

Over the years, Dave's set up all six of my guitars, and my bass. If there's something I don't feel is right - he tweaks until I'm happy.

You might not find quite that level of service where you are, but you have every right to expect the work to be done to your specifications.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll agree with taking it back and explaining to them what you want done, be nice about it, getting upset or ugly will only cause problems in the long run. If their any kind of decent shop they will fix it right with you.

joe

ReplyQuote