Odd buzzing

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I stopped playing for a week due to a wrist injury, and as soon as I came back to my acoustic guitar, I discovered an annoying buzzing sound. I can hear it all over the bass strings, but it's most prominent on the first and twelfth frets of the low-E string. It's much quieter, but still there when I play the string open. I'm positive it's not fret buzz. It sounds like it's coming from the lower bout of the guitar, but pressing hard there while playing the string doesn't do anything to diminish the sound.

This is driving me nuts, so any help would be appreciated.

It's a Yamaha APX500, if that helps.

Thanks

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A change in humidity over the time it was unused may have caused the guitar top to sink (as it does when the humidity drops), lowering the action. Or the truss rod may need adjusting.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Ric, but I'm positive the noise isn't coming from the frets, which rules out a truss-rod adjustment (Right?). It's been a little humid and rainy this week, but there's been no drastic change in the weather, and the top is slightly arched (I think it's been like that since I got it).

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Many "could be"s to check here. Here are a few:

On an electro-acoustic, I would first suspect an internal wire (or wire mount) has become "un-mounted" or shifted in position so it barely touches a wooden surface. Scope out the inside of the body with a flashlight and mirror to see if a wiring mount has come unglued or the wiring simply touches the inner body somewhere. The wiring will run between the pup (bridge), control panel in the upper bass bout and the jack, and often there are little stick-on anchors or mounts to dress the wires. Make sure to check the complete run of wiring.

Also check the output jack nut for to make sure it is snug. Esp if this is an integrated strap button + jack, as some designs are always working loose.

While it may sound as if coming from the lower bout, that can be deceptive. Check the tuning machine nuts (front of headstock around capstans), screws (rear) and tuning buttons for looseness. Also a good idea to look for the errant string end that is lightly touching something on the headstock.

Change in humidity/temp can cause the neck to change slightly and result in a loose truss rod (not fret buzz). Rapping lightly on the back of the neck can reveal this. Check the truss rod nut to make sure it is not loose -- even give it a slight tighten (1/8 turn or less)

Unusual, but braces do occasionally come unglued, and this can cause buzzing, esp on bass notes. Carefully press on the top in various places to see if there's a change in the buzz.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Many "could be"s to check here. Here are a few:
On an electro-acoustic, I would first suspect an internal wire (or wire mount) has become "un-mounted" or shifted in position so it barely touches a wooden surface. Scope out the inside of the body with a flashlight and mirror to see if a wiring mount has come unglued or the wiring simply touches the inner body somewhere. The wiring will run between the pup (bridge), control panel in the upper bass bout and the jack, and often there are little stick-on anchors or mounts to dress the wires. Make sure to check the complete run of wiring.

As far as I can tell, the wiring is good. I'm a little limited in what I can see though, even with a mirror and flashlight.
Also check the output jack nut for to make sure it is snug. Esp if this is an integrated strap button + jack, as some designs are always working loose.

No joy here either. Tight as a drum.
While it may sound as if coming from the lower bout, that can be deceptive. Check the tuning machine nuts (front of headstock around capstans), screws (rear) and tuning buttons for looseness. Also a good idea to look for the errant string end that is lightly touching something on the headstock.

Checked and nope.
Change in humidity/temp can cause the neck to change slightly and result in a loose truss rod (not fret buzz). Rapping lightly on the back of the neck can reveal this. Check the truss rod nut to make sure it is not loose -- even give it a slight tighten (1/8 turn or less)

I tightened it slightly, but still no change.
Unusual, but braces do occasionally come unglued, and this can cause buzzing, esp on bass notes. Carefully press on the top in various places to see if there's a change in the buzz.

This is still my main concern, though no amount of pressing changes the buzz. I'm really into Antoine Dufour, and some of his stuff does require drumming on the soundboard. I'm worried this could have knocked a brace loose.

Is it possible that it's the strings themselves that are doing this? They're only a month and a half old, and they're supposedly long lasting ones (D'Adarrio, coated EXP).

The easiest way for me to find the buzz would be to take off all the strings except the low-E and put my hand right inside to feel around. I'm just a bit worried this could damage the guitar.

Thanks for all your help.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This is still my main concern, though no amount of pressing changes the buzz. I'm really into Antoine Dufour, and some of his stuff does require drumming on the soundboard. I'm worried this could have knocked a brace loose.

Is it possible that it's the strings themselves that are doing this? They're only a month and a half old, and they're supposedly long lasting ones (D'Adarrio, coated EXP).

The easiest way for me to find the buzz would be to take off all the strings except the low-E and put my hand right inside to feel around. I'm just a bit worried this could damage the guitar.

Guitars are tough, but heavy drumming on the top could loosen a brace. If that has happened, you guitar has limited lifetime warranty that should cover a loose brace -- but I wouldn't tell them you are playing percussively.

It may work to remove all strings, except E and feel around. But remember, loosening all that tension may change or hide the problem. So if it doesn't buzz with only the low E, then it might not be so easy to find.

I had a classical with a loose brace. Took a while to figure out that cause, so I know how frustrating this problem can be.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

All right, I have some new information.

I took off half the strings and felt around while playing the low-E. I couldn't find anything that way. It's conceivable that there is a loose brace somewhere I couldn't reach, but that's only at the edges of the lower and upper bouts. I don't think the braces extended that far.
I replaced the low-E string, and the sound actually got worse.
One other thing. I didn't realize it before, but the actual tuning of the string doesn't matter. I get strong buzzing if I play an F on the 6th string (1st fret), but if I tune the string up a half-step and play it open, it doesn't buzz.
I'm hoping that this all means that it's not a loose brace, but it's still driving me insane.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Is that fret particular damaged or worn? A misshapen top will buzz, and misshapen often means a flattened top, where the string makes the actual contact on the edge of the flat surface toward the nut and slaps the front edge (toward bridge) while vibrating. Sounds sort of sitar-like.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

TRY THE BATTERY HOLDER!

Had a similar problem with my electro acoustic a few months ago and it drove me mad.Turned out to be the battery holder.It only buzzed when playing certain chords which made it even more frustrating.

Remove battery and holder and have a listen.

Cheers

bob.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So it looks like it's not the guitar...

I should've realized sooner. I took a week off because my wrists were sore, then changed my right hand technique before playing again. It's all in my thumb. Argh! I tried playing another guitar and had the same problem (although it wasn't as loud).

Sorry for wasting everyone's time,

EDIT: Either that or both guitars have the same problem. I can bring out the sound with my thumb, fingers or a pick. I guess I don't have this solved. Great. :roll:

I've checked the battery compartment with no luck, and the first fret doesn't appear to be worn. It happens all the way up the neck anyways, so I doubt that's the problem.

ReplyQuote
(@wjm123)

THANK YOU BOBBLEHAT!!!

I brought home a brand new Simon & Patrick A3 (parlor) and heard a buzzing noise within a couple of days. It was really discouraging to think about having to bring this beauty back to the store to chase this down. Low and behold when I held down the battery door, no buzzing. So now I'll just stop by and have them tighten it.

Thanks again!!

Mike from Chicago

ReplyQuote