Notifications
Clear all

Problem/Noise on G string

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@mrhyde505)
Topic starter  

Hi everybody, I´m new here and I got a question about an issue that´s pissing me off a lot lately.

I have a Carvin Bolt on Plus that I got last year as a kit H-S-S configuration, a couple of months ago I started noticing a weird noise when I fretted the G string anywere being more strong on the 9th fret to 15th fret area. It´s not exactly rattling but its like is vibrating oddly, it becomes worse if I move my picking hand close to the neck pickup and less when im on top of the bridge pickup, highly noticeable on with the neck pickup-on on a clean setting and become less apartent switching to the other combinations. I use Ernie Ball strings 10´s since I first assembled the guitar and no change has been done to the hardware except turning upside down the bridge pickup and some other wiring stuff, but all this was done last year and this problem is new, also the pickups are very low, I used to have them closer to the strings but lowered them ( all ) to check if that was the problem but no luck.

Does anybody has an idea of what could be making the string behave like this ? I think it may be the saddle but I checked it and found nothing in particular about the slot.

thanks

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I was going to suggest lowering the pups, but ...

Next: Check neck relief and action, esp looking for curve and/or unusually raised frets high up on the fretboard. Does it go away if you raise the action (entire bridge or the G saddle) a bit? That's a clue. And of course: Change the string if you haven't already.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mrhyde505)
Topic starter  

thanks for your responce,

Hmmm no raised frets, it even acts up when I fret the 21st fret (last). its weird because it becomes anoying only when I´m playing on the neck pup and move my hand closer to it. I already changed 3 sets of strings, raised the action and checked relief. It´s a real pain in the butt, I even raised the 3rd saddle more but no luck, its a Wilkinson floating bridge that I locked. The one thing that It´s missing is change the saddle and check the nut slot, if that doesnt do it, im gonna start thinking about electronics...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If it shows up mostly when fretted, I doubt the nut has anything to do with it. Do you hear it acoustically (unplugged), or only through an amp?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mrhyde505)
Topic starter  

hmmm... you got me there I dont remenber right now... but it weirds me out that it changes in intensity when I move my picking hand back and forth between the bridge and the neck pup

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

hmmm... you got me there I dont remenber right now... but it weirds me out that it changes in intensity when I move my picking hand back and forth between the bridge and the neck pup

Do you mean the change is due to picking in those different locations? If so, not surprising, as the string amplitude is going to be very different when you pick at each of those locations. Picking over the neck pup is more likely to cause buzzing -- that is, if buzzing exists.

OTOH, if you mean a noise results from simply holding your hand over those locations -- it's likely an electronic issue, possibly related to grounding/shielding.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

It might be trem warble, try adding another spring or two to your trem... (Does it have a trem?). Also, check your intonation on that string.

I'm assuming the sound you're describing is "beating". Kind of like the sound when two notes are played together slightly off tune, creating a "beating" type sound.

ReplyQuote
(@mrhyde505)
Topic starter  

Hey guys, I got home and did some testing. Seems like theres some kind of ratling going on at the bridge I havent been able to pin point it you yet.

The rattle comes only when I pick only. It´s a Wilkinson trem that I locked so the trem is not moving at all, might be a metal ring that goes on the screw...

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I never played around with a wilkerson bridge, but I can tell you if the string blocks on a floyed rose are not seated in their blocks it will make a racket like you have never heard before. Check the strings and make sure everything is seated and properly installed.

ReplyQuote
(@mrhyde505)
Topic starter  

The tremolo block is fine, I have the whole tremolo locked with wood so it´s not moving at all. I changed already the strings the only thing I need to check is that frigging ring on one of the allen screws that secure the saddle

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

mrhyde505,

I know you've checked the saddle, but you might consider polishing the G-string's slot with some emery paper (being careful to avoid altering the shape of the slot). The polishing would at least eliminate the slot itself as a possible culprit.

Also, is there any chance that the slot has widened over time? A wider slot can cause the buzzing/rattling issue you are describing.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote