Skip to content
Old Japanese Strat,...

Notifications
Clear all

Old Japanese Strat, New USA Telecaster, want to swap necks.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@wildcatx22)
Topic starter  

I have an older Japanese Strat that I really love the neck's feel on, and I have a new American Telecaster. I want to put the old strat's neck on the new guitar. Will this mess anything up? Will I have to adjust the truss rods on either neck if I swap them? Thanks.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Generally, you can't swap strat and tele necks as the heel is shaped differently (squared off on the tele neck, rounded on the strat.) You'd have to reshape the tele neck to fit the strat, and the strat neck will leave gaps in the tele neck slot.

Also if the number of frets are different (e.g., 21 vs. 22 frets) then your intonation may be off.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Is the neck on the American tele really that bad? I would just keep it the way it is and keep the Japenese Strat as a second guitar.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@wildcatx22)
Topic starter  

Is the neck on the American tele really that bad? I would just keep it the way it is and keep the Japenese Strat as a second guitar.

Nah, it's just that, even with new strings on it, the old strat feels like i'm trying to play a banjo. The action is good, just the sustain and the sound quality sucks. The new Tele sounds great as far as Tele's go and I eventually want a new/like-new American strat, but I like my old Strat's neck because the strings are a little closer together than the tele and my playing is a little better, so I figured I'd see if I could make a compromise until I can afford to buy another guitar. I'm glad I didn't go ahead and swap them, then. Thanks guys

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Clapton fitted what appears to be the neck off of Brownie (a Strat) with what seems to be about a 60 Tele Deluxe
for the live Blind Faith gigs pre-dating the release of the album.

You can indeed see the gaps in the corners where the neck meets the body as Mitch is correct....
The heel on the Tele is flat, while the Strats' is slightly curved.

It is doable though.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

It is doable though.

Strat neck to Tele body, yes. The other side of the trade is more complicated. :wink:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Why don't you sell both and buy a USA Strat?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote