Clear all

Old Wooden Saddle

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm not really thinking of changing it. I just want to know if turning the screws would raise the action? Not that I'm wanting to raise the action, it's just that the saddle is bent do to the lower strings having more tension.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it's a 1969-1970? Gibson J-50.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Yup, those are saddle height adjusters.

They are not very powerful so if you do raise the saddle loosen the strings first.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I saw guitar with screws like that for the first time the other day. The action was sky high, so the compulsive guitar tech in me had to fix it. I was glad for the screws.

ReplyQuote
(@arien-uruviel)

lolz... im such a noob... buh before i started guitar, i was playing violin n viola... so... if anyone noes (assuming they play the violin or something)... is the saddle sorta like a woodwind instument's bridge? dun pay attention to this post if u have no idea wat im talking about... ^.^;;;; im just curious

There is more stupidity than
hydrogen in the universe,
and it has a longer shelf life

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Most of us don't call violins and violas woodwinds. Woodwinds are things you blow air through, like flutes, bassoons and saxophones. (Saxes are made of brass, but they're still woodwinds.)

But yeah, the bridge of a guitar is rather like the bridge of a violin, and the saddle's the part of the bridge that the strings rest on.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote