One string buzzin a...

Notifications
Clear all

One string buzzin after setup?

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

As many of you know I just got my Behringer electric guitar setup. Overall the guitar is MUCH better than before. One thing I have noticed though is that the 5th string is buzzing a bit. I double-checked to make sure it wasn't my fretting and it buzzes in a few places. If I fret the 3rd fret it buzzes on the 4th and if I fret the 4th it buzzes on the 5th...then it stops until I get to the 20th fret which by the time I get good enough to play down there I'll have a better guitar! It's strange that it's only happening on the 5th string?

My question is can I adjust the individual string adjustment screws to fix this or is there more I would need to do fix it?

I knew taking that guitar in that it would NEVER have the action of a more expensive guitar and overall the guy did an EXCELLENT job with it.

Thanks

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Do yourself a favor, Mike: You just paid for a setup. Take it back, tell the guy that overall he did a very good job, but would it be possible to adjust out the buzz you've found. Also realize that a little buzz on an electric is not fatal. Often it is not heard through the amp. Try it and see. Then decide if you want to pursue a tweak -- it will very likely result in raising one or more of the string heights.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If I recall, your Beringer does have individual string adjustments and you could try just raising the one string a bit but remember how much you adjusted it so you can go back if you have to.

HOWEVER, I agree that you should just drop in with it and let them adjust it. They will probably do it while you wait.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well he told me that there was a slight buzz when I picked it up but he said it was around the 20th fret. I figured considering the guitar I wouldn't worry about it and that I can't expect miracles. If it's just a string adjustment I can do that..I have the wrench and I figured I would have to count how much I turned the screw (I'll do like an 1/8 of a turn at a time. I believe turing to the right will raise the string correct?

If this were a more expensive guitar I would have it back in the shop in no time. But quite honestly for one string I can adjust it's not worth the gas to go back.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Correct, clockwise should be up and 1/8 of a turn should probably be enough. Just don't go too far that the string is much higher than the others or it will be hard to play.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Also consider if you will do this: If this is a floating trem guitar with adjustable, two point pivot, that a slight adjustment counterclockwise on the bass string side pivot will raise the bass side slightly while keeping all the strings in line.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Correct, clockwise should be up and 1/8 of a turn should probably be enough. Just don't go too far that the string is much higher than the others or it will be hard to play.

Thanks I think that did it...I'll know for sure whn I practice later

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks I think that did it...I'll know for sure whn I practice later
Cool.

If you find out it didn't work then change it back to where it was and just raise the bass side a little like gnease suggested. This way you keep the strings at the same overall alignment rather than raising the single string too much

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I just bought a berringer starter kit for my girlfriends son. I found it to be surprisingly good right out of the box.

My Jay Turser tele was another matter and I sent it back for a string that I could not tune no matter what. The guitar was waaay out of whack out of the box. Had this guitar that had warranty work done on it come back with a buzzing or if I paid for a proper setup on a guitar I already owned, whether factory or private guitar shop......I probably would have fixed it myself and told them they lost a customer for good.

I can't believe someone would set up a guitar, whether under warranty or setup for cash and give it back to the customer with a bad string. Shabby work. :evil:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I can't believe someone would set up a guitar, whether under warranty or setup for cash and give it back to the customer with a bad string. Shabby work. :evil:

If you are talking about my situation then you have to understand that the results are only as good as the original materials. The guy at the shop did the BEST he could with what he had. He also did a setup on my acoustic (Fender San Luis Rey) and I'll tell you it is flawless.

I too was surprised by how good the Behringer was out of the box especially for how cheap it was. But we need to keep things in perspective...in order for those guitars to be that cheap they HAVE to cut costs somewhere...and most likely its the quality of the parts that suffer. Now that doesn't mean they are BAD parts...just not as good as something on a Taylor T5...which by the way if I had one of these and I brought it home with a buzzing string I'd be back in my car ASAP breaking the speed limit to complain.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I don't know Mike...don't know where the 2500 dollar Taylor came into the equation but on a 6 string guitar..........5 out of 6 isn't good enough for me.

A guitar is a work of art visually AND mechanically, more money makes them prettier from a prettier piece of wood and more money/time put into the finish. More money means more expensive electronics and better tuners that hold better. More money means hand filed frets instead of machine cut. They all have to do the same thing and that is to have all 6 out of 6 strings playing correctly.

I would kick back any guitar that came to me with only 5 out of 6, no matter what I paid for it and I have done exactly that. If I hired someone to dial in a guitar he would get it kicked back even if he did a beautiful job on 6 other guitars I brought to him. 5 out of 6?

I am glad you are happy with it though and I must be out of place to insult you by calling your Tech's work SHABBY. I am sure he did the best he could? Sorry.

:oops:

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote