Open A string rings as G...:(

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@arman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi guys,

I have a Sunburst ESP Tiger with the Tremolo locking system where the nut should be (I'm not too familiar with the components...:() I just received this guitar, and it was in drop D tuning...I was able to revert back to standard tuning, however, the A string keeps ringing out as G - I messed with the pegs at the front and the tuning pegs behind the bridge...and no luck. I examined the clamps (where the nut is supposed to be) and the clamp holding the 6th and 5th strings is a little crooked. Could this crooked clamp be causing the discrepancy?

I hope I explained that correctly...

AUTOGRAPHED ESP George Lynch Sunburst Tiger

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

It could be, but when you loosened the strings to retune it - did you unclamp all the strings? I never had a locking trem guitar, but that I think is the way to tune the strings (or retune them); the nut clamp is loose so the strings can tune normally using the tuners on the headstock, then the clamp is tightened, and then the fine tuners on the bridge are used to bring everything back into perfect tune - which is sometimes thrown slightly off because of the pressure of the clamps.

If you've done this and the 5th string is still tuned to G, then maybe it's caught somehow by the clamp. When you loosen the clamp, see if you can slack the string all the way - as if you were going to change it; if it doesn't, then it's caught, and maybe you can pull and push or twist it to get it loose. See, the guy who had it, having it in open tuning, might've put a thicker string than normal as the 5th string, and it might've gotten stuck slightly in there.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@arman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

THANKS MY MAN!

I'll give your suggestion(s) a try as soon as I get my hands on some wrenches....

ReplyQuote
(@arman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

YOUR GUIDANCE HELPED ME OUT GREATLY!

THANKS A MILLION.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You're welcome. What did it turn out to be? String stuck in there or the clamp no loosening correctly?

I'm glad it was a quick fix.

Best regards

ReplyQuote
(@arman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

You're welcome. What did it turn out to be? String stuck in there or the clamp no loosening correctly?

I'm glad it was a quick fix.

Best regards

I apologize for the delay in response...been busy with the guitar, if you know what I mean ;)

I'm guessing it was the clamp causing the tuning problem...yeah, string stuck in there.

THANKS!

ReplyQuote