Notifications
Clear all

Ovation dilemma

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jaybird43)
Topic starter  

I have an Ovation Celebrity which is dated to 1976, I believe, and I bought it several years ago from a pawn shop. It was not in the best of shape, but had a beautiful sound. Over the years, it seems the sound hole area appears to be "sinking" thus lowering the strings onto the neck. This was an expensive guitar, and is still one of my favorites to play.
Someone suggested that I try humidity first. I did, and it helped somewhat, but, it still could use something else.
Does anyone have an idea that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg?
John

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I have one hung on the wall that someone gave me that that had sunk enough and with the string tension pulled the bridge and electronics right out of guitar. I unstrung it and removed the bridge, after being hung on the wall for sometime now it straightened out. I thought one day I'd brace the top and put another piece of wood to remount the bridge inside the guitar. It perhaps will change the sound of it a little but the small amount of playing time it would recieve I'm not going to worry about it.

Just my thought

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@jaybird43)
Topic starter  

Thanks, Joe. I did unstring it for some time, and the shop where I had someone look at it suggested that a guitar humidifier might be what it needs. I contacted Ovation and told them of the problem, and I asked them that since I have three Ovations, could I expect the same thing from
all of them. Of course, their reply was "no". I was a little ticked with them because it took so long for them to get back with me.
Thank you for responding so quickly.
John

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your Welcome,

That was just the idea I thought of for resolving the situation with the one I have. It may not be the correct way.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Boy do I have some good news for you. Go to Stewmac and look up the JLD Bridge doctor. It costs about 30 bucks and it will fix the dip in the top in a matter of minutes.

ReplyQuote
(@jaybird43)
Topic starter  

Thanks, Nick. I am interested in this product, but do you think it will work on my Ovation since there are no back support cross pieces on which to mount the "doctor"?
John

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I was under the impression that the guitar I have on the wall, was tuned to tight thats why the bridge pulled out. The guitarist that gave it to me has other guitars he has tuned high enough to sound like a banjo. But know I'm thinking perhaps it did the same thing yours did and it wasn't caught soon enough.

I had thought of just putting a brace just under the were the bridge goes and remounting the bridge to the new brace. I may have to re-think my approach to repairing it. Well maybe not, it will probably be still need to be fixed for years to come...lol

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@jaybird43)
Topic starter  

My bridge is still in tact and is strong.....it's the top around the sound hole and bridge that is "sinking", thus allowing the strings to touch the frets.
John

ReplyQuote