Clear all

Why do strats have 2 Tone controls ?

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I know this might seem like a stupid question but whats the pint in the 2 tone controls on strats ?

Thanks a lot

Newbie by the way lol

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I have no idea. They allow you to turn one pickup's tone down and then switch to the other using a different setting, but I've never had the slightest inclination to do that.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I think it was so that they could push the volume knob right in the way of playing comfortably. :?

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I think it was so that they could push the volume knob right in the way of playing comfortably. :?

And the 5-way switch! LOL!!!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The first tone control is for the neck pickup and the second tone control is for the middle and bridge pickup.

Just my thoughts

joe

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

If you look at the Strat, and then it's intended replacements, the Jazzmaster and the Jaguar, you see that Fender was always interested in giving the player the ability to use two separate tone settings, one for rhythm and another for lead. This gets really quite elaborate on the later two models, but on the strat it consists of the separate tone control for the neck pickup.
It's really the same theory as the two tone pots on a Les Paul, just a bit more confusing in execution due to the 3 pickups.

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ahhh thanks a lot everyone, that solves that mystery lol.

ReplyQuote