Clear all

Painful GAS and lesson learned....

35 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It's been four months, and I've been having great fun experimenting with my Jay Turser ES-335 clone; set up very low, graphite nut installed, added black brass w/MOP knobs and a matching pickguard from Jeannie. Even held out for a brown Gator HS case I wanted. Adjusted pickup height so it sounds pretty good to me now. I was itching to change the pickups to get a brighter and clearer tone, when I finally admitted something was wrong. I've been taking lessons for a month now - not a long time but my instructor gives lots of material to practice. What's wrong is I'm not playing chords as well as I should by now. I know the formation, I know where it is on the fretboard, I just can't HIT it cleanly. Spending time getting it right is killing any sense of rythym during practice. The problem is there isn't enough space on the board for my fingers in close position. I know I could probably, eventually learn to work with any neck but I don't want to waste money on lessons and not show improvement. This is one of the things you can't check via mailorder. At the nut the Turser is 1-5/8" nut width, or 41.27mm - both my instructor and guitar tech think it's too small for me. Didn't dawn on me how much of a difference there could be when I was shopping.

So where from here?

I did a search on guitars with wider neck/nut width and think a 44.75mm would work out better for me. After drooling of several Paul Reed Smith models, I came across the Epiphone Firebird Studio. I like a guitar with a big body so it doesn't look like I'm playing a ukelele, the shape is different and it just says "I'm yours" when I look at it. My local Guitar Center has a Gibson (not this decade) on the floor, so I'm going to try it out. I looked up the specs and both have the same measurements. If it works out, I want to pull the trigger this weekend and the Turser (sadly) will be up for sale.

Lesson learned is all the measurements included with reviews and specs sheets really do mean something, pay attention. :oops:

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I don't think there is anything to be embarrassed or remorseful. this is how we experience life. with each decision who hits home runs every time ? I don't know that person.
I have gone through a few guitars that didn't suit me. sometimes it iS the guitar and not one's ability.

the Turser is an excellent guitar. the Firebird is a very cool (donkey) of a guitar. be very sure to inspect it before you buy.
I have found the quality in workmanship and details, in particular, vary with Gibson's non Les Paul guitars.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Hmmm, more for your lesson ....

Don't search on-line for measurements and assume you will get what you need. Go to a store and play the guitars. There is more to hand "fitment" than nut width: scale length, fingerboard radius and even fingerboard material make a difference -- so does nut and bridge setup (as you already know).

If you are looking at PRS models -- which do indeed sport wider string spacing, as well as longer scale (25'' compared to Gibby/Epi typical of 24.75"), you should be checking the SE models, most of which are under $500 US street.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I had a bad buy on a starter set before I knew any better. Ended up with an Ibanez double-cut solid body (GAX70) that had a bit wider nut. Made all the world a difference. I went from not being able to fret a C-chord, period, to being able to do so instantly right there in the store. Would not be playing now if I had not made that trip, I betchya.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys,

The neck radius thing threw me until I forced myself to slow down long enough to actually read it. After trying the Firebird, I'm going to give it a go as it feels good and fits in the budget a little better. The SE is waiting in the wings if things don't work out within the return period but I'm hoping it just becomes my third purchase, second guitar in my collection. :)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

I started on a steel string acoustic. OK guitar, but hell on the fingers, and kind of narrow for my quite big hands, so I went the opposite way and bought a nylon string classical. Nice wide neck, plenty of room for beginner fingers, and it got me started nicely. But, of course the sound didn't exactly rock.... so a bit later on I got a Yamaha Strat copy. Way cooler looking, but it was back to a narrow neck. So after a bit more time I then got an Epi SG 400 that was slightly wider at the nut, and which just seemed to have the best of everything that I liked.... and still does.... woohoo... but....

... the thing is, that now I can play a bit, I find that I can play ALL of them just fine, and each one has something a little different that I like about it. So I'm glad that I kept them all. :mrgreen:

Best of luck finding the one you want.

Cheers,

Chris

PS And the funny thing is, that despite having gone through all that with guitars, it still didn't occur to me that the same thing might apply to keyboards. I blithely assumed that a 12 key span would be the same width on all pianos and keyboards.... NOPE! :o Took me a day or two to figure out why I seemed to clip the edge of the keys sometimes when I swapped from a 61 key Yamaha arranger keyboard to an 88 key Roland digital piano. Yep, different octave width... D'oh.... :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

That's it Chris, once you can play the actual guitar doesn't matter as much.

I think you will find the Firebird more to your liking Bman. JTurser is fine, but the Firebird is a wicked-looking axe.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That's it Chris, once you can play the actual guitar doesn't matter as much.

I think you will find the Firebird more to your liking Bman. JTurser is fine, but the Firebird is a wicked-looking axe.
I can't wait to reach that point (where I can play on guitar) and want to give myself the best chance of getting there.

It IS wicked - not as extreme as an Explorer but definitely has a cool vibe of it's own. Need to find a nice leather strap to match its swagger :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You do have to be comfortable with your guitar to learn. That is true, but I agree that once you learn to play, it won't matter as much the nut width or radius or scale. You will have favorites though. :wink: I play anything without too much of an adjustment.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, got home today and there were two large rectangular boxes my wife dragged into the garage.... and one of them had a large chunk of cardboard missing which had been taped over. :x

After waiting the prerequisite 5 hours for acclimation, I opened the damaged box first while holding my breath. As luck (?) would have it, it was the case. Unfortunately, the damage was severe enough to affect the case; an area about 3" square is caved in.

Damn.

Now to the other box, which isn't torn but looks worse than the first. Nice surprise though, double-boxed. Opened the second box, removed the protective wrap to reveal the Firebird.

Damn. Double damn! :twisted:

It's flawless, beautiful, and it fits! I hit a Dmaj7 that gave me fits on the Turser with no problem! The neck feels much better, no matter what I tried. Its an adjustment, but for the good. The finish is satin-like worn cherry so it doesn't gleam but it doesn't show fingerprints either. I thought the action on my Turser was low but its high compared to the Firebird. I couldn't find a spot that buzzed and I noticed I could play a little faster than I was before, articulating notes. According to the card that ships with it they (Epiphone) hold a final inspection before shipping to stores. Of course it will still get a setup and string change but I can't see it getting any lower. I haven't even plugged it in yet but envision a pup change to Seymour Duncan's since the black exposed model seems just right here.

I will stop at Guitar Center tomorrow to try a PRS SE, but unless I'm totally blown away I've found the one; well, to start with anyway :D . Primarily I'll be looking for a case and a bad a$$ strap to represent with the Firebird.

Sometimes it IS the guitar! :D

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Didn't realize the board was censored; somehow "darn" doesn't quite convey what I felt but I guess you get the gist of things.... :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sorry to hear about the case, but super happy to hear about the guitar fitting. Not plugging it in yet? THAT, is restraint. I'm impressed.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

5 hours acclimation? How long had it been in that truck within the relative vicinity of your house? It aint winter son! :lol: You got me beat in the will power department though. Glad the guitar was OK. Sory about the case.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry to hear about the case, but super happy to hear about the guitar fitting. Not plugging it in yet? THAT, is restraint. I'm impressed.

Thanks! Restraint? Only a meat-grinder of a day has held me back - tomorrow the Firebird will either accept my proposal or leave me! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

5 hours acclimation? How long had it been in that truck within the relative vicinity of your house? It aint winter son! :lol: You got me beat in the will power department though. Glad the guitar was OK. Sory about the case.

I thought that was standard! :shock: The warehouse is in Jersey (home state!), I live in Maryland. Order/delivery was one day :?

I count my blessings that it WAS the case and not the guitar :D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3