Clear all

Permanent lubrication for machine heads

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@the-borg)
Topic starter  

Hi!

I'm curious if anyone knows what kind of "permanent lubrication" is used to connect the top of the machine head housing unit to the bottom unit that's connected to the gear?

I have a les paul studio and this piece just randomly fell off one day, the machine heads are the vintage gibson nickels. If anyone had some help or advice i'd be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Borg

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Both Grover and Kluson now make solid units that don't fall apart. The new Klusons found at Stew Mac are a transformed hybrid, I wouldn't want them, but they're there, for anyone's consideration... http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Kluson_Waffleback_Guitar_Machines.html

The cover on the tuners that I believe you are referring to are shown here with arrows, and they just crimp on in 2 places. In the middle pic, it shows a slot or gap beneath the hole, and that is repeated twice to secure them.

In the bottom pic, the second or bottom crimp goes through the base right under the "PP".

Let us know if that's not what you meant. The gear inside just screws into the post.

I think a good white lithium lubricant, or regular grease works well, inside. :)

And the two tabs that are bent or crimped are seen on these bottoms.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't think those unsealed Klusons are meant to be "permanently lubricated." I trickle a little gear oil in them now and then.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I don't think those unsealed Klusons are meant to be "permanently lubricated." I trickle a little gear oil in them now and then.

Agreed, the oil goes into the hole, as you've been doing. I use a PTFE Microlubricant from Radio Shack or the Source.

The question was a little ambiguous but reasonable, and if they ever come apart, you can put some heavy stuff in there, if you seal them up again, or reassemble the pieces. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Gotoh has a version of those tuners - the SD510 - that is permanently lubricated. They work great. They also have them in a locking version SD510MG (Magnum lock). The SD90 tuners on the same page look similar but aren't permanently lubricated.

http://www.hosco.co.jp/HOSCO_ENGLISH/Pages/gotoh_catalog2008/sd510_sd.html

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote