Strat Neck Pickup

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a 2007 MIM SSH strat.

The neck pickup has never really "picked-up". What I mean by that is I have to really turn the volume on the amp up louder when using the neck pickup as opposed to the other two to get any response out of it. I do get some response but it is pain trying to change pickups in the middle of a song and having to adjust the volume up at the amp. I have adjusted the height to get the pickup closer to the strings but that doesn't seem to help.

Is there a way with out opening up the inside to test the pickup using a multimeter. I'm no electronics guru so the simpler sounding the better! :D

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

We can test pickups quite reliably with a multi meter while they are still in the guitar. The measurements I get while using the following method, compared to the 'proper' method, going direct to the leads of a removed pickup aren't much different.

Purists would say there is going to be resistance in the cable here, but anyhow - just plug your 1/4" cable into the guitar. Select the pickup on the pickup selector switch, that is REALLY important. Then apply the test leads with the positive to the other tip (point) of your cord, and the negative test lead to the sleeve, (barrel or pin) of the cord.

That MIM Strat single should meter at around 5.5 to 6K depending on the model, which you've already said is SSH, so it would be a ceramic bar magnet pickup in most cases. You could also have a Tex Mex which is rarer and slightly overwound. The Classics or Re-issues with Alnico rod magnets measure slightly less.

If there is still an issue with the pickup, you may need to examine it from the inside for an unglued magnet, for instance. With some finesse, you could carefully take the pickguard off in a minute, after loosening strings. Slip out the guard, then flip it without tearing wires, or scratching the finish.

It would look something like this. You may now examine everything pertaining to that pickup, and test by placing the multi meter leads on the solder blobs at the pickup, that would be easiest. Other methods include testing with positive at the switch, negative on a pot, jack or bridge ground.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I have adjusted the height to get the pickup closer to the strings but that doesn't seem to help.

I may be pointing out the obvious, but you can also lower the other two pickups to help balance things out.

Personally I like my neck pickup at a lower volume than the bridge, with the middle in between. I set my amp volume for the neck pickup with the guitar volume on about 7, and use the volume knob on the guitar to adjust for the volume increase on the others.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice. I have been out of town since my post so I am hoping to play with it some tonight.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote