Clear all

Pickup for my EPI LP

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking I'd like to change my EPI LP Standard pickups over to something like original Les Paul equipment & I was wondering if anyone has done it, also your opinions.......something we're not short of here....

Classic '57

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-57-Classic-Humbucker-Pickup?sku=306000

or newer Burstbuckers

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-57-Classic-Humbucker-Pickup?sku=306000

Or leave them alone.

Noff
(@noff)
Estimable Member

The Burstbuckers sound a lot brighter to me than the '57s do. The 57's are closer to the sound I think of when I think classic les paul.

Gibson's page has an interesting little bit on the science behind them and why they sound different.
http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/Burstbucker%5Ftrade%3B/

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone know if they fit, if I have to do alterations?

I hear P-94 fit, but I'm looking for the old ABB sound or early Gov't Mule. I know he has a LP with Burstbuckers model named after him, but I like the sound before he became famous which was on a 50's LP.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

What about a Dimarzio PAF?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I've read other places they are a swap.

I'm got my sites set on the 57 classic for the neck & a 57 classic plus for the bridge.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Does anyone know if they fit, if I have to do alterations?

I hear P-94 fit, but I'm looking for the old ABB sound or early Gov't Mule. I know he has a LP with Burstbuckers model named after him, but I like the sound before he became famous which was on a 50's LP.
As far as I'm aware all standard humbuckers are built to a fixed size, so that they are interchangeable.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Humbuckers are interchangable, so you shouldn't have an issue. Classic 57's and Burstbuckers are gonna run you $150 - $200 for the set. You can get a set of 490R/498T (stock in the Gibson LP Standards) for less than $150.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Musicians Friend is $119 for the 57 classic & $129 for the classic plus. That's what I'm planning on.

I will order the first of April or there abouts.....

ReplyQuote