Clear all

Pickup rewiring

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone know a bit about electronics re-wiring? I've got a great Yamaha that I bought used. It's an RGX 612 MA. It has 3 pickups:

-double coil in the back
-single coil upfront
-single coil in the middle

It has a switch for each pickup; 2 positions: on and off. I hate this system as I use only one of two configurations: either the double coil by itself or both single coils together. When it comes to switching between bars, I have to handle 3 switches and that's a pain, it simply takes too much time.

I'd like to re-wire it so that I'd use only one switch:
-down: the double coil
-up: both single coils

I know that some people like different configurations, ie, using the middle pick-up with the double coil or something like that, but I don't, it's simply a matter of preference.

I can do the soldering myself, but I'd like to know which wires to solder where. There's no back access to the pickups; if I have to go directly to them, it might be a bit nightmarish and, in case it mattters, they are active pick-ups.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

If I understand correctly. I maybe way off but heres a try. Are there two volume and tone controls?

If this is the case, you may have come off of the volume controls. The hot from the Humbucker connected to the middle post of the volume control and the outer post on the volume control which is also conected to the tone control is connected to one side of the switch. The other outer would be ground.

Connect the hots from both single coils to the middle of the second volume control, the outer post on the volume control which is also conected to the tone control is connected to one side of the switch.

Is there three posts or four on the switch ? If theres three, The center post on the switch is connected to the outout jack. This should allow one position for Humbucker and one position for both singles.

Thinking and writing are two different things.Wiring Diagram

Hope it helps

joe

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Wouldn't you need a defferent kind of switch, since those switches seem to be only on/off switches, and you'd need (if i'm right) a single pole double throw swith to switch between two pickup sources.

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Completely forgot to mention those... One volume, two tones. go here: [link removed] for a diagram. Note that the yellow and green wires are actually white. The green ones come from the pickup. The three bottom switches are lined up, the top one (upper right of the diagram) is by itself. The red wires coming out of it are also from the pickups. There are a lot more wires, but none that are hooked up to the switches. Some of them, I guess are from the battery.

Anyway, those are all the cables that hook up to the switches.

ReplyQuote