Notifications
Clear all

Ibanez Prestige Rg 2550 Ex

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@odranoel999)
Topic starter  

Hi...i got an awesome Ibba Rg 2550 ex, but as i wanna replace strings without adjusting tremolo and other things, i'd like to know if someone knows the gauge of this guitar, cause my manual just say about the 009 E string.

Thanks, Leonardo

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I could be they mean either set. I would ask the place you purchased the guitar from. Learning how to adjust a tremolo system really isn't that hard, its just takes time and getting use to.

High E-.009, B-.011, G-.016, D- W26, A- W32, Low E- W42

High E-.009, B-.011, G-.016, D- W26, A- W36, Low E- W46

W= wound string.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

If their literature doesn't lie, every Ibanez electric comes from the factory with D'Addario 9's on it. Should be an easy swap if you like the strings that are on it...just go buy the same thing. :)

From my limited experience, staying with the same basic gauge doesn't have a huge effect on the tremolo. My old Yamaha Pacifica (with, I believe, a "Crap-O-Matic 9000" whammy bridge) saw several different brands and gauges of strings, and I never really had a problem keeping it tuned up. Never made any adjustments either.

I am sitting on a brand new Strat that needs strings, though, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I've become a huge HUGE fan of DR brand 11-gauge round core electric strings, and I think that may warrant some adjustments when I make the switch. I will be sure to post about my wacky guitar-futzing antics when I get around to swapping them out. :D

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Is it just me or do I have to make tiny changes to the trem on my RG550 after using a set for a while and when I get new strings of the same gauge? Seems like they somehow stretch out when I ain't looking...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would use E-.009, B-.011, G-.016, D- W26, A- W32, E- W42.

I've seen after installing the same brand and size from even the same case of strings cause the tremolo to move out of position slightly, requiring a minimal adjustment to get the bridge back into its proper floating position. When its out of position even slightly it effects things. Like action, intonation, tone. It may not seem all that important." it is".

A guitarist that has a double locking tremolo system should be know and be able to make adjustments (with the right tools) to the system to keep it in top form.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Is it just me or do I have to make tiny changes to the trem on my RG550 after using a set for a while and when I get new strings of the same gauge? Seems like they somehow stretch out when I ain't looking...

It's not you. Strings not only stretch and change with use, but everything is manufactured to an acceptable tolerance, not to perfection. That means there will be variations in thickness, spring constant (elasticity) and end stiffness from set to set of the same model/gauge strings. All of these will affect required tension to tune to pitch and also intonation to some extent. And it only takes a difference in one string of the six to affect a floating trem.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote