Skip to content
please help my acou...

Notifications
Clear all

please help my acoustic guitar ovation...

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi, guys, really need to ask all of you...i've just bought an Ovation acoustic electric guitar and i really like it when i tried it. but later, i found out that it was one step lower than the standard tuning all that time..it was (from the first string) DAFCGD ...so, not long from that, i immediately tuned it up to the standard tuning :EBGDAE, ..but then, i found out that i can't play it like it was used to be. It's very hard to play a bend or legato (cannot sustain at all) and it is very hard to play a barre chord especially, from the seventh fret above....my hands aren't comfortable at all, some of my friends even felt pain when they played that guitar...how can it be like this? should i adjust the truss rod? or is it because of the bridge?

i have played a lot of acoustic electric guitars, but none of them are uncomfortable.., except this one...

please help,thx u, n ohh..sorry for my bad english... :)

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hi,

What is the problem with the guitar?

If the neck relief is set wrong, use the truss rod.

If the action is too high, lower the saddle.

Ovation guitars usually come with a couple of shims under the saddle. Try removing one if the action is too high.

Perhaps the guitar was strung with thicker strings when it was tuned down. Try new strings like light/med light.

....or tune it back down and capo on the second fret to play standard tuning since you like playing it tuned down.

...or learn the new chord names for existing shapes when you play tuned down.

http://www.geneclark.com/capochordchart.html

look at the chord your fingers are playing and go over to the column capo two. It isn't that hard really.

You don't have an ovation baritone guitar do you? I do. It's and excellent guitar, but since it's tuned down to B you have to mentally transpose the chords you are playing to match those playing in standard tuning.

Look, if you really like it the way it was before then play it that way. :D You'll be unique and you'll love to play it.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Given that it's hard to bend, I'd say it was tension rather than truss-rod adjustment - If you swap to a lighter string gauge you won't need as much tension to reach the same pitch. You could also (temporarily or otherwise) go back to tuning down a step again, and capo at the 2nd fret - then it's be as it was before to play, but still sound at standard tuning.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

yes. I have a feeling a lighter gauge string will solve the problem without adjusting anything.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wow,thx a lot guys...i really appreciate it..i'll try the lighter string gauge idea...thx! :D
n no i don't buy the baritone haha..just a regular acoustic electric guitar by ovation...oh ya, sorry, forgot to describe u before...i bought not "ovation" but " applause - by ovation " and it was made in Indonesia (better than China made, they said :?: ) ..hope this will help describing my AE guitar n its problem more details...thx u :)

ReplyQuote
(@blackdiamond13)
Eminent Member

sounds like they were just using that made in indonesia technique to sell you, made in indonesia doesn't mean anything that much different... blackdiamond13 @ Jemsite

Up The Irons!!

ReplyQuote