Clear all

Please help! stuck guitar jack adaptor!

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@georgemacbeth)
Topic starter  

hi
when recording on garageband on my computer i use a jack adaptor to plug into my guitar and a lead out from that to the laptop.
but the rubber outer part of the adaptor has come off and now the actual jack is lodged in my input socket :cry:
does anyone know how i could get it out without damaging my prs ??
pleasse jelp thankyou :D x

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If the wires are still attached, just pull on those.

If the wires have come away, try using some narrow-nosed pliers to pull on the tabs, that the wires were connected to.

To keep the rubber protection in place, there will almost certainly be some sort of screw thread. You can take a pair of pliers to the screw thread and just pull the jack out of the socket.

The jack plug will have a metal shoulder, which is there to stop the shaft from going too far into the socket. This rests on the flange that holds the jack socket in place in your guitar. Try putting your finger nails between the two and pulling. If finger nails don't work, try wrapping some strong thread or fishing line around, and pulling tightly into the gap. It should be possible to tie a knot, in the thread and pull the jack out.

There is also the option of loosening all your strings, putting something like a chop-stick into the body of the guitar and pushing the jack out.

If that fails, we are going to need a photo, to see what can be done to help you.

I've deliberately not mentioned screwdrivers or such, in the hope that that level of force may not be necessary.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Might be very easy to find out why it's stuck. Remove the two (or four) screws that attach the jack plate to your PRS, and carefully pull the plate/jack assembly away from the guitar so you can view the plug tip and now it is inserted in the jack. (If the plate/jack assembly do not easily pull out from the body, give up, as the wires may be too short -- but I doubt this.)

You may find that once you see the mechanism, the gentle application of a flat blade screwdriver and a twist to move a stuck part (prob tip contact shaped like this in side view: ------^- ) will do the trick.

Good luck and careful not scratch you guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote