6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@xwyhyx)
Topic starter  

umm i have a fender strat...... for the first 2 months or so it was perfect
good sound, no rattle, no other buzzes
just perfect

but after some time when i adjust/move the volume knob it makes these crackly noise or buzz whatsoever and after some more time
when moving the jack while plugged in my strat it kills the sound so you know
i gotta move the jack cord here and there until the sound goes back again..... huhuhu

and BTW when i opened the jack port there were two wires connected to the jack umm seperated
my friend also has a elec guitar but it's wire in the jack port is like joined together or something
i think it was "shielded" if im right where theres a wire in the middle and the other is looped around it..

do i still nid to "shield" the wires???? if so how??

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

It sounds like a wire is coming loose from the jack, which would mean that you have to re-solder it to the terminal. If you don't know how to solder I would suggest just getting it repaired.

As for the crackling with the volume knob, that probably is a problem with the potentiometer (that's the electronic device that controls the volume), it probably just needs to be opened up and sprayed with an electronic cleaner. Again, if you don't know what I'm talking about it would probably be easier to just get it repaired: it should cost very little since it would take about 5 minutes to do and nothing needs to be replaced (assuming that I am correct)

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@xwyhyx)
Topic starter  

juz a few days ago the wires connecting the jack just disconnected so i let my friend who knows soldering resolder the two wires but still the same problem.... maybe its the jack that has the problem.....

i know the pots but i have no idea about that electronic cleaner you were saying.... idk that tool

*edited: found out what's that electronic cleaner is... so how do i use it where to spray??? directly on the pot?

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

You'll want to spray the electronic cleaner inside the pot:

Someone posted a similar problem

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=33505

As for the jack, have you tried using a different patch cord?? Sometimes the cord can get worn and the wires inside can split which causes the sound to go in and out. If you have tried that than you might need to replace the jack, I'm not an expert so probably before buying a new jack, I would take it to a repairer to see if that is the problem.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

there should be two wires connected to the jack. one from the volume pot to the jack.
and one from the jack to ground.
that is all. the jacks have no moving parts so they are unlikely to wear out.
check solder connections making sure the wire is soldered nice. the solder should be bright or dull bright.
if it is burned and dark looking then the connection may not be perfect.
the cord for the guitar can cause problems if it is old or the connection inside are broken.
if you have a cord where the ends unscrew then look and see if the solder is good.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@xwyhyx)
Topic starter  

oh found out the problem was my jack.... just bought a new one and works great.... aw good as new again...
tnx guys

ReplyQuote