Clear all

Project: Strat fixup

24 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Also, I was surfing guitar fetish, and I found something that might add some complexity, but might be totally worth it. Guitar fetish is selling a mid boost circuit for the guitar that replaces one of the two tone knobs. I know that a lot of people like the fender that include a midboost circuit. I believe the Robert Cray and the Powerhouse fenders are two guitars with the boost. Can I do this mod without having to drill. I have a decent sized cavity to put the battery in, or at least I think so. Looks like it might be another little way to give the samick a personal touch. Thanks for the help so far, this has been more fun than buying a new guitar, and certainly cheaper. Thanks.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Good luck with it not CHIPPING from picking, been there done that. Had to buy another. $7 in paint plus 2 hours down the drain oh well :oops: spend and learn! 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I still have to seal it, that should keep the chipping at bay.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Update: Hit up wallie world for clear coat, came out with testors gloss clear coat. After painting the pickguard looks even nicer, I'm extreamly satisfied with how it looks on the guitar. Finallized my order, which I will do after yardwork. Order goes as follows - Clearance Overwound Strat Set, Vintage Chrome Tremlo Arm, Complete Strat rewire kit, Sprague Orange Drop Tone Caps- .047uf. Then I'm going to get the Onboard Clapton-esque Mid Boost Circuit off his ebay store, as his website has them as sold out, but his ebay store has 6, so thats finally all in line. It's going to run me seventy bucks all in all, but it should be worth it. My neighbor who collects and plays can't wait to see how it comes out. Either can I.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

Oh man that sounds soo exciting , I'm doing the same thing with my Squier , ordering some humbuckers fof of the GFS site. MY uncle apints cars so he goign to do my guitar up.

Let us knwo how your pickguard paint holds up?

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Everything is final. Order has been filled. Slight change though this time around. Clapton style mid boost I wanted is sold out, so I ended up getting the SRV circuit, which will do what I want anyways, plus with the overwounds this circuit might sound better. Heres a link - http://store.guitarfetish.com/onsexcimatou.html - for the circuit. Can't wait to wip out the sodder on these.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Parts came in today.

Everything looks good, exept for the tone caps I got. I think I got the wrong size. His site says to buy .047uf tone caps for strat/tele and .022 for les paul. But the .047uf tone caps are enormous compared to the ceramic disks that came in the rewire kit.

Here a comparison, the .047uf on the left, the .022 on the right.

Also, My trem arm is in. How do I install it. Its threaded, but I don't want to do anything because I don't know what to do. I'm going to get help hopefully from my neighbor when it comes to wiring and sodering. He has put together kits and stuff before, so he knows what going on their. Plus the instructions are pretty good, there isn't much confusion over all that. All I need to get is new wire, the old stuff didn't hold up well, so I'm not going to waste my time with it again.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Pickups holes were to big for the old screws, so I picked up some new larger ones, and everything works great now. Here's a picture of all the electronics installed onto the pickguard.

Later this week I'm getting copper foil to shield the cavity with all the electronics in order to eliminate some hum I'm expecting to encounter. We have also decided on putting the battery under the pickguard between the neck and middle pickups. It fits perfect there.

Starting the soddering tonite!

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

after getting the diagram that Art supplies to me, I've had to make some changes. The guitar currently is set up in the following order. volume pot, empty whole, circuit. Also, everything is soddered except anything going to the jack, which is 3 wires. These wires are going to be shielded, and as I have no shielded wire at the current moment, I'm going to have to hold off on those remaining connections. Also, the battery has been moved from between the neck and middle pickups to where the middle tone put should be. I'm excited about seeing this finished. It should be done by next weekend.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2