5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@pnezzy)
Topic starter  

Here's the guitar in question...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Electric?sku=519903

Symptoms:

wound string pitches gradually deviate from proper pitch to nearly a quarter tone at 12th fret. G string is about an 1/8th off at 12th fret, B is dead on, and E is a quarter flat nearly. Played openly, guitar is perfectly in tune (multiple tuners used). Also, the E string oscilates irratically pretty much up and down the fretboard.

Umm, I'm pretty sure that's it. It played perfect when I got it, and I'm sure this is a basic maintenance thing I should have learned a long time ago. I've searched for tutorials, but most have been pretty unclear, or for different bridges and whatnot.

Thanks in advance.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like there's no way to adjust the intonation. Very strange.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

A & L you're quite correct - the stepped effect on the wrapover stopbar is intended to give the correct intonation. There's no individual adjustment like the saddles on a Strat, or the little blade-like saddle inserts in the Tune-o-Matic bridge on a Les Paul or similar. It's a PRS speciality - it's the same on the much more expensive McCarty and Singlecut models, not to mention the Modern Eagle (a very pricey instrument) in its trem-less incarnation. Lovely guitars - the SE Soapbar is one of my all-time favourites. Glorious sound, effortless to play.

Pnezzy - it works perfectly provided that you stick to approximately the string gauge it was supplied with - if I remember rightly it's 9-42, isn't it? If you go up to 11's or something, that'll throw the intonation for sure. Also, don't forget that as strings get older they both stretch and wear down, and both of those things affect the intonation. Often the first thing that tells me I need to change the strings on my Telecaster is that I notice the intonation going a bit sour :(

The oscillating E string suggests action too low, maybe? Have you lowered the action (big screws at bridge ends) at any point?

Otherwise, just take the guitar into a good dealer, ideally a PRS agent, or a luthier, for a full setup, including new strings.

ReplyQuote
(@pnezzy)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the help guys. I was pretty sure there wasn't a way to adjust it, but just wanted to make sure I didn't just suck at searching the net. I'm pretty sure the string gauge thing is my problem. I've been using this guitar for lower tunings so I could leave my ltd in standard since its a floyd, so... running some heavies on there now. Guess I'll be getting some new strings tomorrow.

Thanks again. You guys definitely know your stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Only too glad to help! :D :D :D

ReplyQuote