Clear all

recommended acoustic strings?

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@puffin87)
Topic starter  

Hey guys and gals,

What strings would you recommend for a beginner to put on their acoustic guitar? I'm thinking about picking up a few sets of strings, and I can't find any recommended brands anywhere...

Thanks,
Puff

(@puffin87)
Topic starter  

Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a dependable set of strings for a steel string acoustic? I'm not looking for top of the line strings, just want a reputable dependable string.

Thanks,
puff

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

We talk about this one a lot round here, and you'll find that if you ask 20 different people about what's the best string you'll get 35 different answers.

I use Rotosound Country Gold, because they're unfailingly reliable, reasonably priced and they sound good on my guitar. And that's the crux of the answer really, you need to let your guitar tell you what strings it likes. Try half a dozen different brands, then decide.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Myself, I use GHS Vintage Bronze strings. I like the warmer tone they have, and they last forever. Like Alan said, buy a bunch & try them out yourself to see what you like. Took me years to find the ones I decided to stick with.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm merging two posts on the same topic. Just a reminder to folks not to post the same topic in mulitple forums.

Thanks!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I was going to post on my latest problem with D'Addario Phosphor Bronze, so now I must explain it in awhile, except the problem is solved. I guess that's good, or bad? I was really going to give everyone a chance to comment and solve my problem: that might have been the first question from me ever, I think?

Regular D'Addario's & GHS have always been a safe bet, and if you want consistency and decent performance IMO, then Martin's. However, I find them lacking in brightness and punch compared to D'Addario, so had to buy the more expensive Martin Marquis series, and finally gave it up due to cost.

I have been looking at new guitars lately; always felt that most reputable ones come with D'Addarios from the factory, now I see some Elixir Nanowebs making a presence on new guitars, I think it was on Godin/Art & Lutherie acoustic guitars. Good for them, if that's the case. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I personally find the elixir nanos to be a good choice.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Being really cheap, I order phosphor bronze sets from WebStrings.com they are no name strings produced in the U.S. They come in a variety of weights. They sound good and seem to hold up well and at about 3 dollars a set I can change them more often if I want. :)

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Another thing to keep in mind about the cost of the strings is how long do they last. If the strings last 3x as long but only cost 2x as much then you're paying less overall. I use D'Addario EXP strings on my acoustic. These are coated strings that help prevent the collection of oils and grime from your hands and corrosion of the strings. They last longer than the non-coated variety and enough longer to more than make up for the cost difference (maybe 30% to 50% higher than the non-coated depending on where you get them).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Dean Markley Blue Steel

ReplyQuote
(@puffin87)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the fast responses. I went with the d`addario coated strings. One more question. Anyone know where I can find a good website or video tutorial of how to restring my acoustic. It's a basic skill that I'd rather learn than have to pay to have someone else do.

Thanks guys,
Puff

ReplyQuote