Clear all

Recurring Problem: Guitar Buzzing.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@shadychar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

A little while ago, I, being the clumsy dolt that I am, dropped my guitar. Right on the jack. The jackplate broke, the jack broke away from the wiring, total mayhem ensued. So I took my guitar to the (I emphasize THE; It's the only one around) guitar shop, a shop which I've dealt with before for repairs and lessons, and which has been generally good to me. So they fixed my guitar, installed a new jack, the whole shebang.

Less than a week later I plugged in, turned on the amp, and found my guitar's sound had been replaced by a horrible buzzing. I opened it up to see if I could figure out what was wrong, and I noticed a wire hanging detached from the jack. 'No problem', I thought, 'I'll just take it into the shop, this should be easy to fix!'. It was; they fixed it in a day, and sent me on my merry way. Problem fixed. Nothing to see here.

Then about a week later, EXACT same thing. Buzz buzz. Notes are coming through, but they're barely audible under the buzz. I open it up again, to find the wires obfuscated by thick wrappings of electrical tape.

So here I am, playing feebly on my unamplified guitar, wondering if you guys have some tips. I know I have to take the guitar into the shop, because it's THE shop, and I don't know anybody else who repairs guitars in the area. I don't have a soldering iron or anything, and I probably wouldn't be able to repair it anyway, but I was just wondering if you could tell me what's going on and more specifically why it would keep coming back like this. Thanks in advance!

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

It sounds like a lousy solder job. Try to find someone who fixes electronics and have them solder it. Or better yet move to a bigger city with more guitar shops.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@shadychar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

That was the answer I was expecting, and the one I least wanted to hear. :(

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

That was the answer I was expecting, and the one I least wanted to hear. :(
If it played good for about a week the odds are atleast that the wires were not reversed. So, I would suggest you find someone who can solder and have them re-solder to 2 wires. For this piece it does not have to be a guitar repair person.

The tape is not a bad idea but if it is soldered right and the wires aren't exposed it isn't necessary. Generally a sign of a shortcut instead of doing it the right way.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote