Refinishing a neck

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey. Question about necks.
If I were to buy a Squier strat, then removed the neck finish, sanded down the neck to smooth it, reapply a finish of my choice, polished the frets; would it be possible to make it play like anything like an American strat (fretboard aside for the moment)? Or is there something beyond this - beyond simply the amount of effort n time taken to finish a neck?
Or perhaps taking it further - could I buy any old P.O.S. n do this?

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i'm pretty sure both squiers and fenders use a tung oil finish on the back. some of the higher end fenders put nitro maybe on the top, but still tung oil or equivalent on the back. So, I don't know what you could do to make it "play" like an American. That's one thing I like about Squiers and Fenders...the necks are usually smooth and nice and fast. Personally I don't see the point to what you want to do

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Well I tried out both the Squier Standard and Deluxe strats today, both set up n all. For blues the neck felt fine - not instantly perfect - but good once you've knocked out a few licks. But for heavier stuff where my hand wanted to move up n down the neck more I found it wasn't too smooth. My friends American Tele plays beautifully n it has a satin urethane finish according to Fender (unless they've changed the finish they use since about 2 years ago). The Squier site says the ones I tried have a polyurethane finish...is there a difference between the two?

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

polyurethane? like shiny and glossy? I thought all Fenders had the satin oil finish on the backs...I know a guy with an American Standard and it literally has the same neck as my MIM. Maybe someone else knows what they're talking about more than i do...

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

polyurethane? like shiny and glossy? I thought all Fenders had the satin oil finish on the backs...I know a guy with an American Standard and it literally has the same neck as my MIM. Maybe someone else knows what they're talking about more than i do...

Polyurethane comes in satin, and is indeed what Fender is using. I could be wrong, but doubt Fender has ever used Tung oil on mass-produced necks. If at all, probably only on some custom shop models to mimic some player-god's signature guitar.

I have used spraycan nitrocellulose lacquer from Stew-Mac on several necks: Lots of this coats and level sanding, followed by buffing and polishing. Obviously that's a gloss finish, which is what I prefer. I also expect it to wear. Polyurethane should be much more durable.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

well i learned something then...i thought they used oil finishes.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

well i learned something then...i thought they used oil finishes.

FWIW: Musicman and G&L, Leo's two post-Fender companies did or do offer satin gun oiled or oiled necks on some models.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote