Skip to content
REMOVING pick guard...

Notifications
Clear all

REMOVING pick guard on epiphone les paul??

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@brotha_down)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

hey i got my first guitar (epiphone lp 100) about a month ago, and its got a pick guard on it just held on by screw... i was wondering if i can take it off (just out of general curiosity, and for cleaning purposes)... does it really serve any purpose other than protecting my finish from scratchin it with the pick? here are some pick to show how its held on (three screws, two on front and one on the side on the shiny metal bracket....

is there anything i should know about taking this off.. precautions etc... thanx

here are the pics

(@arcmage)
Trusted Member

Just remove the 2 screws ... not a problem. I personally leave the pickguard off myself on my Gibson that is much like yours.  

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Well. first off, the one screw u see towards the bottom of the pick guard connects to the metal thing, not the body. The only hole is going to be in that screw by the neck... only reason for the guard is to stop your pick from hitting it (i dont know why the pick would)

I dont think theres much to it... but i can be wrong.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@brotha_down)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

alright thanx, i think ill take it off tomorrow to clean out the dust from underneath and if i like the way it looks i may leave it off... i kinda like the vintage look with the pick guard but i can always put it back on  :P

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I sometimes use it for a finger rest (rest the pinky or something) when im not using the bridge or just free handing it.  I like mine with it on but just because the finish seems faded under the pickguard (its old).  Its much like your's but mine is cheaply made (from the looks of mine at least).  

I have socks much like those.  Hanes, no?  

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@brotha_down)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i like the look of mine too... but i was thinkin itd be cool if i bought some chromed rings for around my pickups instead of white, and take off the pickguard.. i think that'd look cool... but id still switch back and forth cuz i still love the way it looks now

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

yeah..my lp has the premium plus top..so id never ever even think of putting a pickguard on it

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Its driving me crazy!!  Are they hanes or not?!   :P

Just kidding.  

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote