Clear all

Replace pickguard on my Strat

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@maestro04)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm planning on replacing my white pickguard to a black pickguard. Could I do this myself? Or should I take it to the guitar center? Will they charge?

I have no previous experience with guitar repair. Thanks in advanced.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It should be quite straightforward. It's best to do this when you next change strings. Before you remove the strings, note how far the pickups are from the strings (you're going to have to adjust them, when you've got the new pickguard on.
The first thing to do is to remove the switch and knob heads (they should just pull off).
Next, you need to unscrew the pickguard. A Strat normally has 11 screws, holding the pickguard on. Pre-62 (?) models had 8 screws, so you'd need an 8-hole pickguard, if you have one of these. You'll also need to look out for differences in MIM Strats ( http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm?fuseaction=pickguards_strat ).

Once you've freed the pickguard, it's time to have a look at how the pickups are kept in place. There should be a spring over the shaft of the screw, between the back of the pickguard and the flange of the pickup. Once you've got the idea how it works, lower the pickguard, back into position and undo and remove all the screws. The pickups, springs and switch will fall into the body cavities. Lift off the old pickguard and retrieve the springs from the cavities.
Now put the new pickguard into place and fit the pickups and switch, remembering to put the springs over the screw shafts, before connecting to the pickup flange. Then, you're ready to screw the pickguard down, put on new strings and adjust the pickup height, by turning the screws that hold the pickup in place. Put the knob and switch heads back on.
Done.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

To note my pickup height I make a mark flush with the pickguard on the underside with a Sharpie. I also mark the orientation of the controls and pickups I.E. vol,tone 1,tone 2,ect...

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

A Strat normally has 11 screws, holding the pickguard on. Pre-62 (?) models had 8 screws, so you'd need an 8-hole pickguard, if you have one of these. You'll also need to look out for differences in MIM Strats.And maybe Squiers, and a few other "looks close, but . . . " varieties.

Not to further complicate your life, but once you get it opened up, see if it might need some shielding. This'd be the time to tackle that, if you're changing the pickguard anyway. Monte Allums (Superior Sound Designs) makes some pre-cut ones that are pretty neat. He even custom-cut one for me to use in my Squier Bullet Special, which has just a single humbucker. (It does for now, anyway. :wink: ) http://www.monteallums.com/Shielding.html

And here's the "Why/What/How" of shielding: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

ReplyQuote
(@maestro04)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Much appreciated.

ReplyQuote