Skip to content
replacing A500K pot...

Notifications
Clear all

replacing A500K pot with B500K,does it change guitar sound?

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
17.4 K Views
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hello,...i've changed my tone pot from A500K with B500K(because of the repairman's mistake :( ) ...now..what i wanted to ask is

1) does this changing change my guitar sound n tone(character)?

2)is there any advantage for keeping the B500k?or should i rather change it to A500K?thx u so much... :)

(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Question,

What's an a500k and a b500k?

Audio taper? Linear taper?

Confused! :oops:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

The A versus B describes the taper of the pot. They both start and stop at the same places (being max tone and min tone), but in between it will sound different. However, all the same sounds are available, it's just in different places on the knob. Do you get what I'm saying? An A pot on 7 = a B pot on 4 (or something along those lines). One of them will ramp up more quickly than the other one, but they both start and stop at the same sounds. If you leave your tone pot up all the way all the time, it doesn't matter. Just play with it. See if it bothers you. If there's a certain tone that you can't get because it seems to jump too quickly around the tone you want, then you might want to switch it back, but otherwise, it's not a big deal.

While composing my reply, racetruck came in. Yes A = audio, B = linear.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wow..thx u TZ: very beautiful answer...i'll keep it then..i hope i can get my tone again...need to explore my guitar again then..
btw,what pot is usually used for tone and volume?A for tone and B for Vol ?is it right?
thx u so much.. :D

Racetruck: hahaha :lol: ...you always make us laugh with that emoticons...thx

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

They are generally all audio in a guitar. Maybe your repairman just had a bunch in a drawer and thought they were all audio, but didn't check before putting it in. I probably wouldn't care or notice, though, my knobs are usually all all the way up.

TZ

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

jeansen,

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28165&highlight=audio+taper

Check this discussion out, it might help clarify.

Glad I make you laugh with the emoticons, you should try using them too!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thx u racetruck....i'll read them...here i use the emoticons..hahaha :twisted: :P

ReplyQuote
(@jeansen)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Racetruck,n others...after i read that thread..i'm thinking to keep the tone pot with that B. :D cause i've made some search too and i found that B is recommended for tone pot...but weird things mentioned too..Gibson use linear for volume and audio for tone?
which one all of you guys suggested?the linear or the audio for the tone pot?please explain why...don't get into to detail though..i don't know much about electronics..
for info: my guitar has a H-S-H pickup,5 way selector switch,its model is based on ibanez Rg model...thx u n thx u :) GBU

ReplyQuote