Notifications
Clear all

Replacing adjustable screws in humbucker

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@captpostmod)
Topic starter  

Alright, I haven't found anything or anyone on the net that can tell me anything about this. I have a well used Les Paul with a 498T humbucker pickup in the bridge. It's a standard humbucker with fixed pole pieces in one half of each pup and "adjustable" screw polepieces in the other half--

*Note: Picture is stock, not picture of my actual pup.

My trouble is that one of the screws is showing signs of rust on top. So far the sound doesn't seem to be affected, but I'd like to replace the screw (or at least move it from the treasured bridge pup back to the virtually unused neck pup).

Can you buy replacement screws anywhere? Is it just a matter of unscrewing the old one and screwing a new one in? Even if I can't buy a new one, I'd be happy to at least move the rusting one to the lesser used neck pup.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Parts/Humbucker_Pickup_Parts.html

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@captpostmod)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the link :)

And I take it then that unscrewing the old pole piece and screwing in a new one is all that is required (I won't unwind anything or cause the pickup to die in some way by unscrewing the old pole?).

ReplyQuote
(@spitfirem1)

I can't say that I've ever assembled pickups (or disassembled for that matter,) but it appears that the pole pieces go through the center of the bobbin and thread into the metal spacer that conducts the field to the adjustable pole pieces. This would suggest that you could replace that one screw easily without fear of damaging the pickup unless you used a screw that was not threaded correctly or was too long.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The rust won't affect your pickup's operation, though, unless the metal's just grossly corroded away.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote