Notifications
Clear all

One string softer than others?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@tylerpp)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone, I've got a BC Rich Warlock, the one that comes in the metal masters pack, and I've got this problem. The High E string seems to be softer than all my other strings, I can play them all and they'd sound loud then when I get to the High E its just not as loud, especially on the clean channel, what may be the problem?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

A couple of things...

Signal is induced when the string moves through the magnetic field, the high E naturally generates less signal - because it's got a lot less mass. Your setup needs to compensate for this... if the polepieces are adjustable, you might try raising the ones under the high E; if they're not, raise the high E side of the entire pickup.

Also check your tone control. With it all the way down, is it still much weaker? Tone control circuits are filters, which means they filter out (reduce) the signal at some frequencies. They're usually set for the middle third of a guitar's range. That changes the tone of all the notes for complex reasons (overtone series), but the sweet spot of what it's reducing is the open high E - that's dead center for the range of a 24 fret neck. If the pickup control turns out to be the problem, you can either mod the tone control or forget using the control - go through an EQ instead to filter frequencies. That'll give you more control over the sound.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote