Clear all

Replacing Strings

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I just removed the strings of my acoustic guitar by myself for the first time and would like a few tips before I replace them:

1) The little metal ring at the bridge-end of the string, it's supposed to be positioned so that it blocks itself from coming back out of the hole in the saddle, right?

2) Now that I have the strings off, I think it's a good time to do a really detailed cleaning and besides cleaning the frets really good what else should I do?

3) I also feel inspired to put a humidifier inside until I replace the strings. A simple damp sponge or clothe inside a ziploc with holes in it will do right?

4)Anything else I should do while I have the strings off for a day or two?

Thanks for all suggestions!

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

A few more questions about the humidifier:

How big should the holes be; I used a paperclip to punch about 40 holes in a ziploc freezer bag, should that be good?

How much moisture do I need; I soaked a small hand towel (around 6" by 8") and then wrung it out moderately, should that be good?

Lastly, is it better if I put my guitar in its case while I have the humidifier in it or should I leave out out?

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

HO!! HOOO!!! there Charlie Horse.. HO!!!!

Don't do ANYTHING.... ANYTHING untill you get an answer to your question.

Water/Moisture in or on or around an accoustic is bad...bad..very bad news unless you know exactly what your doing.

I'm only bringing this up because a well made, finely tuned accoustic guitar is built to be right on the verge of Exploding. The tension on the neck, the body, the strings is a lot more than one would imagine, I've read and heard apprx 120lbs tension on the strings...:shock: :shock: .

Any sudden and drastic changes in temp, moisture or anything of the like can permenantly damage said instrument especially if it gets into the seams on the inside.. either on the body and/or on the tone bars and bracing.

Most people don't use the humidifiers until Winter time. I know there has been alot of discussion on this issue in the forums if you search.

I never paid much attention to them only because of where I live, having such dry air isn't an issue.

Wait till one of these Mentor/GURU's gets back to you... In the mean time I'd suggest getting the towel, zipploc baggy and anything else WET away from your guitar for now.

Just some friendly advice is all :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

WHAT!?!?...........(*runs downstairs, throughs open guitar case, rips out Ziploc bag and throughs it across the room, proceeds to thoroughly inspect guitar inside and out*)

Phew! I think we're good.

I never thought I really needed a humidifier, I just wanted to do some extensive cleaning and overhaulin' while the strings were off, but I'll hold off on the humidifier for now.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I applaud your wanting to take care of your acoustic. I have only had one acoustic in the near 22 years I've been playing and that was a Piece Of Junk 16-17 years ago. It was good at the time cause it was all I had and all I could afford. I am sure someone here that is more familiar with acoustics will give you a great answer. I need an acoustic!!!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Nexion:

LOTS of questions! I will do my best to answer you. I am by no means a professional luthier, but I do have some experience with acoustics.

1. I am assuming your acoustic uses pins to secure the strings to the bridge. If so, then the metal ring at the end of each string is pushed down in to each string hole. Then a pin is inserted to "lock" the string end in place. Hold your thumb on the pin as you tune to pitch. You will probably hear one or two "popping" sounds under the pin - do not be alarmed. As you are tighten the string, the end pulls up and into the slot in the pin. This makes the sound and the slot secures the string end. But, if you do not keep a thumb on the pin while you tighten the string, the pin make come free and allow the string end to come out.

2. You can clean the entire body and neck, if you want. If so, go to a guitar store and get some guitar polish - this is pretty gentle stuff, that shouldn't damage your guitar's finish. Some simply use a clean rag and breathe condensation on the finish. DO NOT use household cleaning products - could damage the finish. I also like to use a little lemon oil on the fretboard, since the freetboard is unfinished wood, it needs some moisture.

3. I keep a humidifier in my sound hole, whenever I am not playing it. BUT, I live in a dry climate. Even in the summer, there is too little moisture in the air for a guitar (and anything else made of wood, like furniture). When I lived in a more moist climate, I didn't use a humidifer until winter. You need to judge your climate. I wouldn't advise you use the plastic bag deal - it could leak. Get a sound hole humidifier for around $15.

Hope this helps!

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, thanks.

I probably don't need a humidifier, just someone I thought I might try to increase my guitar's "health" for a few days until I put the strings back on.

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Alright, I'm going to attempt to put the new strings on. Any last minute advice or considerations.

Also, what is the best way to wrap the strings to the tuning head?

- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Put it through the tuner hole with enough slack ( this'll take a bit of experience) to wrap at least three times but not enough to wrap clear to the bottom of the tuner make a sharp bend and start turning the tuner (a string winder helps helps) guide the string over the top of the tail for the first wind then put the rest under the tail. Stretch(don't pull to hard) and tune to pitch

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

And don't let the windings overlap, cause that will make the guitar go out of tune easier.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote