Clear all

Strat/Squier/American Interchangeable Necks

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have a 93 or 94 Fender MIM Strat. I have been thinking of getting a new neck for it. An American Standard Strat Neck. Do any of the American Standards have the Rectangle Neck mounting plate. If so will that neck fit my MIM Strat.

Also, will a Squier neck fit my MIM Strat. Is this Rectangle neck plate a Standard Size throughout Fender Electric Guitars.

Is there a good website that explains all of the interchangeable parts for Strats; MIMs, Squiers, and MIAs.

Thanks!

Pics of my guitars.

Ibanez RG321MHGN on left, Strat Copy in the middle, and the Fender Stratocaster on the right.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Most 4 hole necks should fit. Where are you going to get the neck?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

if you're looking for a new neck or a different style try Warmoth.com

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

The one problem that you might have is the screw holes lining up. I tried to switch the necks on 2 squier teles, and the neck holes were drilled in slightly different spots. If I had wanted to permanently switch the necks, I would have had to wood putty, and redrill the screw holes in the necks.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well I was thinking of getting the neck from ebay. I thought a new American Neck would last a while and ofcourse play great. Mine is still in pretty good shape, I thought if I got one on ebay then I would sell my MIM neck.

Well I guess in a pinch I could drill out the holes and fill it with dowels and putty or whatever. I was just trying to get around that. Ya see I am Lazy. LOL.

Warmoth.com
I've been there, wow what a great site. I would love to work at their workshop. Cool Job.
Are Warmoth necks as good as American Fender necks?

Thanks!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

In theory, the Squier, MIM, and American necks should all fit. The neck plates are pretty standard. The only difference would be the "Deluxe" series, which has a comfort heel. The neck will fit, but the screw holes and the neck plate are different. If you got a standard MIA neck it will fit on your MIM strat about 95% of the time.

Which, of course, is the issue with buying on eBay because you never know if that $900 strat is real or just a MIM strat with an American neck...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the Replies.

Thats a big help.

The last couple of weeks Ive been looking at Fender parts on ebay and I was wondering the same thing. How can you know from a picture if both body and neck are Fender. I guess if you go by the dealers reputation that will help. But I see guitars selling for their max values (IMO) when the seller has a no sale history or one or two. Expensive guitars on ebay scare me, but cheap ones dont, I guess if a cheap one isnt good then you didnt lose much.

The white guitar pictured above is a cheapo from ebay, $47. It plays really good and sounds good except for the humbucker. Every single part on that guitar is very cheap but some how it sounds pretty good. The best part is the neck, the worst is the body wood, they said it was alder but I really doubt it.

ReplyQuote