Clear all

Scalloping a bound neck...(idea)

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey. Anyone know how you'd go about scalloping a fretboard with a bound neck?

Please stick to the technical issue at hand. No warnings about the perils of a scalloped fretboard etc - All of which I can categorically say from experience, are a myth, unless you have a stupidly heavy touch!

Thanks.

(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

hmm. Ok I'll start things off with an idea, you tell me if this is dumb or not.

If I were to sand the gloss (not the paint, just the gloss) off of the neck binding - masking off the rest of the neck to protect it - would I then be able to take my file to the fretboard and scallop away as I wished? Making sure to sand the bound edges of the fretboard smooth again. Then reapply the gloss.

Or would that just be a disaster? :?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Not sure what you've got in mind, but if you are using a contour sander (like the Dremel) then I'd think the binding material would sand down just like the fretboard wood.

Gonna look weird though. ;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I can't say that I really see a problem with it. I have scalloped 2 fretboards, although I did remove both necks. I did a Rosewood & Maple, the latter was definantly harder.Took many hours to do it just right, I ended up using my dremel because I started getting tired & I didn't want to end up with a sloppy filing job.

I smoothed things up with files/sandpaper afterwards. Not the best pic here, but you get the idea.
There is a special finish for the "gloss" that luthiers use, I forget what it is, someone else on here probably knows.

The guitar pictured is a Gibson L4 knockoff, I wasn't really that concerned with the proper finish, so I just refinished with polyurethane. It worked out well.

Again, I can't say specifically about a bound neck, but I would suggest "go slow", I believe things would turn out okay. Be sure to wear a dust mask, esp. with a Rosewood fretboard. I have heard stories that Rosewood dust is hazardous to breath, but I cannot confirm it. Better to be safe.

Good Luck! :)

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I've never scalloped a neck but I would think that the sideways sanding action could pull the binding off the neck unless you were very careful. So. be careful.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Not sure what you've got in mind, but if you are using a contour sander (like the Dremel) then I'd think the binding material would sand down just like the fretboard wood.

Gonna look weird though. ;)

Yeah. Would look pretty unique huh? :mrgreen:

Would it be easy enough to smooth off the edge of the fretboard where the binding is, so that it looks professional rather than an amateur mess? Thats my main concern i guess. You can kinda get away with a not so perfect job on a regular board... :|

And seeing as a Dremel would sand perpendicular to the frets that should eliminate any worry about pulling off the binding...

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

And seeing as a Dremel would sand perpendicular to the frets that should eliminate any worry about pulling off the binding. That, and using a "light touch", but of course you already know that. :wink: I can just envision the binding shredding to pieces & all pulling off at once, Or if it is old & brittle... :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

And seeing as a Dremel would sand perpendicular to the frets that should eliminate any worry about pulling off the binding...

I'm not sure about that; from the looks of this it seems the contour sander would run parallel:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal2.htm

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

In my case, I used a rotary dremel which ran parallel with the frets. The round "barrel" shaped disc laid down in the fret groove for a very nice sanding job. That would be working the binding along the length of the fretbard, instead of pulling it "off" or away from the neck.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

That would be working the binding along the length of the fretbard, instead of pulling it "off" or away from the neck.

wah? I dont get what you mean lol :|

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

wah? I dont get what you mean lol I should probably just gracefully exit from this thread now. The more I post, the more confusing I seem to be, even after reading my own posts! :lol:
At any rate, good luck with your venture!

ReplyQuote