Notifications
Clear all

Schecter Omen 6 volume knob problem

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@durpa)
Topic starter  

I recently bought a Schecter Omen 6 for $50 from a 'friend'. Sadly, he didn't bother to tell me that only about 1/4 of the volume knob works. When turning it, it just makes a loud static noise in most positions. I've tried everything I know of, but nothing seems to help. I don't know if this is a common problem with this model or not, but any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

A scratchy pot can happen to any guitar. They are cheap and easily replaced, so you may have the last laugh on your friend. Here is a link to buy online fo $5.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/20electronicparts.2controlpots/

Can you solder? Do you know someone who can? Even if you have a guitar tech do it it shouldn't be too expensive. You would want an audio taper pot, 500k but 250k would work. You would have to check the shaft length but I have an Omen 6 and I think they do not require a long shaft. The one right at the top of the page should be what you need. As I said, if you can't DIY or get someone you know to do it, I don't think it would be too expensive of a repair to have a guitar tech do.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@durpa)
Topic starter  

Thank you for all the info TRGuitar, I really appreciate it.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey, no prob! If I lived anywhere near you I would perform the repair. I love to work on guitars. I like my Omen 6. I know it is a low end Schecter but I like the feel of it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

$50 sounds like a good deal for the Omen. It is a starter guitar, but Schecter's have decent quality control. Yeah, $5 fix for ya and you're rocking. :twisted:

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote