Clear all

Selector switch doesn't work properly

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@bganoe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I bought a Silvertone SSL1 for my first guitar a couple months ago.... the 3-way pickup selector switch only works in two positions. Does anyone know if there is a simple fix or will I need to take it to get it fixed. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It could be something as simple as dirt on one of the contacts so get some contact cleaner and clean them off. While you are doing that make sure the contacts are actually working in the dead position.

It seems like all manufacturers bought from the same batch of bad switches since the first one usually goes bad so it may be worthwhile having the switch replaced.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@bganoe)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I called a music store and asked them if they had contact cleaner... he wasn't sure what I was talking about... he told me to use compressed air, does that sound right?

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

I know there is such a thing as electrical contact cleaner, but I have never used it. You might try Radio Shack or another electronics store.

I did use some compressed air recently to fix a switch that was giving me problems. I used the same can I use to clean the dust out of my computer equipment.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

try Radio Shack. er lol Morpheus I see you've already answered.!

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

The contact cleaner you can pick up at Radio Shack is called "Blow Off"

Peavey also make a great one called FUNK OUT

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

Contact cleaner ?? these things are soldered in, okey the inner workings of the switch might need it but... Should they really get dusty ?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Contact cleaner ?? these things are soldered in, okey the inner workings of the switch might need it but... Should they really get dusty ?

They don't really get "dusty" it's more like they Oxidize and no longer make a clean contact.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

I see, so if oxidation is the reason that they're not contacting, how will blowing the oxidation off help, surely its best just to resolder...

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I see, so if oxidation is the reason that they're not contacting, how will blowing the oxidation off help, surely its best just to resolder...That was why the suggestion is to use a cleaner not just air.

In the long haul you are better off replacing the switch anyway.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

Just resolder it if its of any quality the switch, just take the surface oxidation off ( Which wont be of any thickness ) and then solder them back on again. Save yourself buying a new switch if you have a soldering iron and a bit of wire wool.

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

( Whats to say its the switch anyway.. It could be one of the wires in the pickup that isn't being selected is damaged... )

ReplyQuote