Clear all

Setting Intonation

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I decided last night to try and properly set the intonation on my guitar. For a tuner, I used the AP Tuner software and ran a line from the headphone out on my amp to the microphone in on my computer. Playing the guitar this way, the tone comes out over the computer speakers and sounds fine.

I was able to set my intonation pretty well. Most of the strings I got to be off by only a few cents at the 12th fret. The problem is the low E (1st) string. It's sharp by about 15 cents at the 12th fret, but the bridge peice for that string is moved down as far as it can go.

Is there any way to get more adjustment power for it? Or is being out of tune by that amount ok?

The guitar sounds fine to my ear, but I am probably not the best judge of proper tone, since I am just starting out with this whole thing.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If it is a tune-o-matic type bridge you can remove and reverse the saddle to get a little more travel. Other types of saddles can be done the same way assuming the saddle is angled one way or the other.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The bridge is a FAT10 on an Ibanez GRX40 guitar. This is a picture of the tremelo unit from the Ibanez web page that shows the bridge piece:

I have adjusted the screw on the saddle for the 1st string so that it is as far down as it can go, but I am still off by a bit.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I am not real familiar with this guitar but typically with a floating trem you need to make sure the trem is level with the body before you can get a good intonation adjustment. Make sure the bridge is level and if it isn't there should be instructions in the manual on how to adjust it.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I will check on this tonight to see if it is maybe the problem. :D

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I had a similar problem with my strat. I decided to take it to a tech for a set up since it was obvious there was an adjustment I couldn't do. He got it set up and now I can continue to do the intonation myself.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Would a store like Guitar Center or Sam Ash do setups? Or do you need a more specialty place? What does it typically cost to have it done?

I know there is both a Sam Ash and a Guitar Center in this area.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Yes they probably would but you are better off with a small family run shop as they are typically better.

Should be around $30 to $50

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Yes they probably would but you are better off with a small family run shop as they are typically better.

Should be around $30 to $50

Generalizations will kill ya!

One of the best local luthiers now does a lot of his work out of GC here. Base your decision on the people, not on the generalizations.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Since I tend to "generalize" when I provide my "opinion" I better stop giving advice that is based on my experience.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I hate to ask the obvious, but you did say it was your first whack at intonation. . .

Did you change strings before you attempted to set the intonation? That's a crucial step.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

No, I didn't change the strings. It's possible that it needs new strings... It has the same ones on it that it came with.

I did check the bridge, as was suggested. It sits snug against the body.

My plan is to take it into the guitar store sometime soon and have them do the adjustments to it.

Can you typically drop it off in the morning and pick it up that evening? Or do they generally hang on to it for a few days?

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

That generally depends on the store. The smaller stores will probably be able to have it back to you the same day. Depending on what they also have on the bench. Living in a large metro area there are a few GC's within the area. They have a guitar tech that travels around from one to the other. The tech works 2 days a week in the one closest by. Drop it off on Tuesday and MAYBE he can get it done that Wednesday or, if not, it will be done on Friday. That's too long to wait in my book.

Find a small local independantly owned, reputable, store that has been around a while. They should be able to have it back the same day.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

In most larger metro areas, the good luthiers will be booked up with work from several stores. But there will be decent techs in most any store that can do a fair setup for. Just call up stores and tell them what you have and ask. Some will be same day, some will be a week.

Size has little to do with it. Larger stores are just as likely to have techs sitting around doing nothing as smaller stores are. And many smaller stores are out-sourcing their setup work to local luthiers. *shrug*

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote