Notifications
Clear all

strat pickup replacement

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@flat_top)
Topic starter  

I have a mexican standard strat with single coil stock pickups. I was looking into replacing the bridge pickup with an EMG 85 Humbucker and disabling the middle and neck single coils since I don't need them. So, there should be no conflitcs with connecting active and passive pickups together because the bridge pickup is the only one that will be connected, right? Please advise of any conflicts/conditions I may not be aware of in order for me to proceed. Thanks.

-Mike

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I don't see any problems. Why not keep the other pickups connected? The day may come when you want to experiment with a few more tone options and all you'd have to do is flip the selector, instead of having to remove the pick guard and re-solder them.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@flat_top)
Topic starter  

I don't see any problems. Why not keep the other pickups connected? The day may come when you want to experiment with a few more tone options and all you'd have to do is flip the selector, instead of having to remove the pick guard and re-solder them.

Joe
How could i mingle the passive single coils and the active EMG together with out there being problems?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Even though the component values for active and passive pickups are different and it can make wiring the guitar a little tricky. Can I ask why you want to go with Active pickup? Passive pick-ups have a more organic tone and a wider dynamic range.

I took a quick look thought one my wiring schematic folders and found this. I'm pretty sure its the wiring for what you would for the project. You may want to look it over and see if its right.

"Put the GREEN wire to the 5-way switch where the original PU's red wire went. Put the RED & WHITE together (solder them together and tape them off). Put the BLACK wire to the switch where the original PU's black wire went. Put the silver (non-insulated) wire to ground on the bottom of the volume pot".

Joe

ReplyQuote