Clear all

Setup needed to remove low E

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've done a bit of searching and can't find any info on this. I'm interested in setting up a guitar like Keith Richards does for open G playing. I haven't had any problems with using the open G tuning, but I would like to remove the 6th string, since I don't play it and occasionally fail to mute it all the way. I assume the truss rod will need to be adjusted to accommodate the reduced amount of tension. Has anyone done this before or have any pointers?

BTW, the guitar in question is a Squire '51, currently with E. Ball Hybrid Slinkies (0.09 - 0.46). I'll probably go back to the Standard Slinkies (0.10) if I do this. Should I go with an even heavier gauge?

Thanks!

Bass player for Undercover

(@97reb)
Noble Member

Put the 10's on and leave off the 6th string (low E). Tune up and check out your action. If your action goes concave or convex, adjust your truss rod. There's nothing like trying your plans to see what happens. Unless you do something crazy and strange, you won't mess up the guitar. What you propose is neither crazy or strange.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

For any of their songs that are just powerchords and nothing else, the Presidents of the USA use guitars with just three strings, The E, A and D, tuned to drop-D, and moved so that they're in the middle of the neck. If they can do that, you should be safe :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@elderberry)
Eminent Member

For any of their songs that are just powerchords and nothing else, the Presidents of the USA use guitars with just three strings, The E, A and D, tuned to drop-D, and moved so that they're in the middle of the neck. If they can do that, you should be safe :)

I haven't thought of those guys in years... They definitely stripped their guitars to the bare essentials.

King Harvest has surely come.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Like we were talking about just now over on Big Road Blues, though I really like the low D in Open G (makes a great turnaround to end a riff on that note), if you don't want it, just tune down the sixth string to G. if you hit it along with the 5th string, it blends right in. Gets a bit floppy unless the string gauge is very heavy, but if you pop it you get a cool nasty buzz like flipping a ruler on the edge of a desk.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote