Clear all

Setup question

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

My father has a Guild GAD-40c and had it setup at a local shop the action was very high at the higher frets. The tech said it would not be a problem. He installed .9 strings on. The action has lowered a bit but did he just pay a set-up fee for a new set of strings. What happens when he decides he wants to put heavier gauge strings on?

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

New strings alone won't directly change the action. Although it might seem logical that the thinnner strings will sit closer to the fretboard, the difference is miniscule - changing from 13s to 9s will bring that high E string closer by 1/250th of an inch (for the 'finger side' of the string).

If you change string gauges, you might need a new setup. Heavier strings have a higher tension, so the truss rod will need an adjustment to compensate - and you might need some nut work done.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

If I paid a setup fee and all that was done was string replacement, I would demand my money back. Maybe you could take the guitar elsewhere and get a new opinion.

I have always used 12s, but I believe if you change gauge you need to do a setup, 13 to 9 is a significant drop.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I think the person to ask is the tech. He may have put the new strings on as part of the set up (which is usually standard operating procedure). Don't go under the assumption that that was all he did. But you should certainly ask and find out what, exactly, was done as part of the set up.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

My father has a Guild GAD-40c and had it setup at a local shop the action was very high at the higher frets. The tech said it would not be a problem. He installed .9 strings on. The action has lowered a bit but did he just pay a set-up fee for a new set of strings. What happens when he decides he wants to put heavier gauge strings on?

A question, what size strings where on it before? Normally a Luthier is going to put on factory size strings or the size that's already on it unless they're asked to put on another size. As was said, changing the strings is a standard part of doing a setup. If your Father decides he wants to use heavier gauge strings the guitar will probably need a truss rod adjustment and maybe some other adjustments. The Luthier should have told him everything that was done, and may have?

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Orginally he had 12's on the Guild but the tech said he put 9's on to make it play easier.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

Orginally he had 12's on the Guild but the tech said he put 9's on to make it play easier.

In my opinion 9s are way to light, although they are easier to play. Making that drastic a size change is a choice I wouldn't expect a guitar tech to make on thier own. jmo.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote