Clear all

Shielding paint

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've read somewhere that there is a type of paint that you can use for shielding the control cavity of a guitar, any recommendations??? Or does anyone know what is on most Gibson guitars??? Thanks..

(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Dunno what kind Gibson uses, but there are at least two possibilities on the market. Stewart-MacDonald sells some that's water-based. The URL for the specific page is pretty big, su just got to their site ( http://www.stewmac.com ) and type "0029" in the search box at the top left of the page. That'll get you to the page with both the ½-pint and 1-pint cans.
Another one is called "MG Super Shield Conductive Nickel Coating." It comes in a spray can. I bought some from R.S.R. Electronics/Electronix Express, http://www.elexp.com/che_5944.htm .
Shielding is a Good Thingâ„¢, but some manufacturers aren't "real diligent" about it. :roll:
Foil is good, but paint lets you get into all the nooks and crannies inside the guitar body.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks a lot, i'll give the stewmac stuff a try.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Dang, that stuff's expensive compared to a roll of copper tape!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Heck I used a roll of aluminum foil that cost $2.99. Couldn't be any easier and the hum is gone!! As wall as the japanese radio station! 8)

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Heck I used a roll of aluminum foil that cost $2.99. Couldn't be any easier and the hum is gone!! As wall as the japanese radio station! 8)

Oh I'm jealous... all I get is some Russian Disco Station....uggghhh!

LOL -- :lol:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I tried using the copper tape but all it did was end up bunching up in places and looking horrible. I've realized i'm not the most patient person, or that smart when it comes to applying a whole bunch of tape in a weird shaped area.

ReplyQuote