Notifications
Clear all

Some questions about hardware issues...

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@grunge00125)
Topic starter  

Okay well i've been playing guitar for a year and a half but i've never had to like manage a truss rod or anything like that because my local guitar store would fix guitars for free. unfortunately it closed down so now i guess i have to learn how to do some of this stuff.

Now i already know how to adjust a truss rod. But how do I know that the truss rod needs to adjust and that it isn't just like the action or anything? And how often will a truss rod need to be adjusted? My ESP had to be adjusted once about a year ago and hasn't needed to be fixed since, and i bought a used Epiphone Dot Studio(i can tell it is at least a few years old) and it hasn't had any buzz issues............

Also, what exactly does raising/lowering the pickups do? My friend does it on any new guitar he buys so i was just wondering.

So yeah im sorry these are noob questions but i don't know anything about guitar hardware....:(

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Now i already know how to adjust a truss rod. But how do I know that the truss rod needs to adjust and that it isn't just like the action or anything? And how often will a truss rod need to be adjusted? My ESP had to be adjusted once about a year ago and hasn't needed to be fixed since, and i bought a used Epiphone Dot Studio(i can tell it is at least a few years old) and it hasn't had any buzz issues............

If there's no buzzes, and you like the way the guitar is playing, don't worry about it. You need to adjust the truss rod when you need to adjust it, which might be every time the season changes, or every 10 years or so.
Also, what exactly does raising/lowering the pickups do? My friend does it on any new guitar he buys so i was just wondering.

It's a way of adjusting how much output comes from the pickup. Generally, farther away means less output (quieter) and closer means more output (louder). You don't want the pickups too far from the strings, and you REALLY don't want them too close. Most people use pickup height as a means of balancing the output between two or more pickups
So yeah im sorry these are noob questions but i don't know anything about guitar hardware....:(

You really shouldn't apologize for being smart and brave enough to ask questions.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

It's a way of adjusting how much output comes from the pickup. Generally, farther away means less output (quieter) and closer means more output (louder). You don't want the pickups too far from the strings, and you REALLY don't want them too close. Most people use pickup height as a means of balancing the output between two or more pickups

Also, lower pups can mean more note clarity. Provided they're not so low they don't pick up any signal, of course...

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote