New Buzz after string change

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

So I finally got around to changing the strings on my newest guitar- the one with the Floyd Rose licensed trem. I had been putting it off since it sounded like a lot of work, but really it wasn't.

Strung it up with 9s, which I think is what was on it before. Had measured everything before,and the action didn't change at all. Bridge position was exactly the same as before when I tuned it up. Aside from having newer, cleaner strings, it seems exactly the same.

But now it buzzes. Never did before. Had, and still has, fairly low action, and great tone, but it never buzzed before. Now it buzzes on every string, seemingly wherever I fret them. Nothing too loud, can't even hear it through an amp, but I'm not too thrilled to have a buzz I didn't before.

COuld it be the strings? The new ones are pretty cheap. (Kawasamy, bought in Korea.) The old ones were also pretty old. Erm, don't know how old- came with the guitar when I bought it second hand. 9 months ago. Is it possible that the new strings are just crappy and buzzy? Or that they're just so much more lively than the old ones that they're buzzing where the old ones didn't? Or...any suggestions welcome.

There isn't a decent guitar tech within 1000 miles, so I guess I'll see what I can find, but if not, it may just buzz for a while.

Thanks,
Ande

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hope you get many replies, let's jump in and brainstorm, but also hope you solve your problem ASAP. :D

As we did this procedure often, check the locking blocks at the nut, it was usually there - the source of the buzz.

Possible solution, rotate the blocks, get 'em all vertical, or switch locations and crank those suckers down like you can.

We also found that 10's or Hybrid sets worked better - 2 reasons: they fill that space in the nut and also pull the neck more than 9's.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote