Clear all

Replacing SX Strat Tuners

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering on a scale of 1-10 how hard this is. They are in line like the Fenders, and I want to replace them with gold tuners, or at least gold looking ones. I would figure the hole sizes would be the same size.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gosusmgost14.html

Those are the ones that I am looking at.

The model guitar I have is the SX SST Strat Vintage '57 from Rondo Music.

Thanks guys!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Be aware that the gold plating on guitar hardware is vanishingly thin. It quickly wears through with use, showing the white metal underneath. You may like that, of course.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I haven't seen the SX series yet or worked on them for myself or anyone. But I change tuners often, many over the years.

First, we look at your guitar above, and of course the link from Guitarfetish to the new gold tuners. I see, with some eye straining :lol: and from the tuners themselves that they would appear to be a direct fit. The job is not hard.

You would want to change out the bushings and all parts of course, so before you order it would be wise to remove a tuner and measure a hole in the headstock to see if it is slightly larger than 10 mm. such as a Squier Affinity or otherwise typical, modern off-shore Fender product.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice! I hope to be doing this in the next few weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Are they the sealed tuners? If so, I replaced mine with no problens, direct fit. I actually got them from another SX Strat but they are Grovers and are standard size. I bought an SX Strat with returned beer and soda cans and rebuilt the whole guitar. It is one of my favorites to play. I bought all my parts from Guitar Fetish. My guitar is the red one in BlueJay's picture.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, it's kind of my inspiration for learning this stuff. It was a really inexpensive guitar.

I think I bought the EXACT same one you did, the SX SST 57 Vintage.

They are sealed tuners. Great, I'll have to go ahead and order up!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

It's an awsome guitar for $99!

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44563&start=15 Here is a link to my origional thread if anyone wants to take a look. :mrgreen: I changed the tuners, bridge, switch, jack and pots plus added strap locks. The bridge is an upgrade with an improved trem block. It was like $30 or $35 bucks but I feel it was worth it. I don't use the trem but I was looking at sustain and quality of the saddles and intonation adjustment. The Lil Killer pickup is nice too and that was like $25. The electronics upgrade kit was maybe $15. The upgrades were not expensive either. Oh, good luck with your project!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

interesting they call it "vintage" and the Grovers fit with out mods. vintage Fender guitars have press-in tuner bushings tuner that fit 11/32 in diameter headstock holes. modern tuners with the screw-in bushings (hex top visible around capstan) and require a larger 13/32 in (10 mm) diameter holes. so if you are going from a true vintage (Kluson style) to a modern, 10 mm tuner, you will need to ream the headstock holes. if you decide to go from modern (10 mm) tuners to vintage (smaller 11/32 in), GF and Stew-Mac both sell conversion press-in bushings.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yeah, the tuners aren't vintage. No press in bushings. They have the threaded one with the nut on the end. I didn't measure but I'm pretty sure they are 10mm holes. Conversion bushings and Kluson style tuners might be a cool idea though.

ReplyQuote