split in back of guitar

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi - just notice tonight a small split in the back of my guitar (rosewood on my larivee). i'm assuming b/c of humidity as it's been dry here.

my question is - what should i do now? it's not a large split but it's there nonetheless. do i not play it now and take it to a shop? should i put anything on it? suggestions, b/c i'm a liitle bummed out about this.

pab

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

The best thing to do would be to get it to a luthier or music store and see what can be done. I promise this will be expensive. Another option would be to give some wood glue or super glue a try. I'm honestly not very sure how well these will work.

But, repairs aren't entirely necessary unless the nature of the split is such that it may eventually worsen and crack the body completely. If you are sure that the damage is only cosmetic and will not worsen, then its no worries.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

cracks are repairable. seek out a luthier. it may cost between 100 and 250$. sometimes less. depends on the repairman.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks dogbite and voodoo. i've left a message for a well-respected guitar repair person here in toronto so i'll know more hopefully once i talk with him.

what kinda sucks here is that i just purchased, on saturday, a boss br-600 and i was looking forward to using it today with the guitar. i had to go back to my yamaha beginner and it just wasn't fun. such a huge difference, not just in sound but in feel and the nut width makes all the difference in the world.

well, hopefully the repair will not set me back too much as i just spent most of my budget on the boss recorder, and i hope that i can get it back quickly. not to sound pessimistic but i'm assuming that both of those things won't be true. it is nice to know though that it can be fixed.

thanks,

paul

ReplyQuote