Clear all

Squier Tele - wiring the jack socket

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The jack socket on my Squier Tele has been loose for some time now, and today the grandson - left unattended for a few seconds - managed to pull the whole caboodle out, detaching the three wires in the process. There is a copper wire in a black plastic casing, and - in a grey casing - two silver coloured wires, one plain, one with a thin white plastic cover. On the socket there are two terminals - one has a flat top, the other is round. Now I think, but I can't be 100% certain, that the two silver wires went to the flat terminal and that the black wire went to round-top terminal......does anyone know? And if those two wires do go to the same terminal, would it do any harm to twist them together before soldering them in place?

Help - I'm unplugged!

:( :( :(

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Best thing to do to be on the safe side is unscrew the control plate and trace those wires to their sources. One should connect to the center lug on the volume pot - that's the hot wire. Another should be soldered to the side or bottom of the volume pot - that's the ground connection. No idea about the third.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Here's the official wiring diagram, Vic: Squier Tele

Very comforting thing to have saved on your hard disc in case of emergency!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I looked through 42 wiring schematics. A couple of them had two ground wires, one running from the volume and one running from the tone out to the jack. It didn't pull a wire that connected at the same ground point? Even though the wire is used for something else.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've tried every conceivable permutation of three wires to two terminals - and all I get is a horrible buzz-saw sound I never had before...Ok. I didn't solder - used insulating tape - I'm going to have to admmit defeat and take it in to the shop - that's £3 in bus fares and whtever they charge, it's out of warranty....

:( :( :(

NOT HAPPY!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

can't imagine the schematics would be diff from standard fenders , i found these also hope it helps
http://www.agi-lace.com/wiring/pdf/2.pdf

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Every diagram has two wires - my guitar has three - I should have mentioned, it's a Squier Custom Tele - ah the hell with it, I'm taking it into the shop tomorrow - if Dawson's ever want any more custom from me, even though it's out of warranty, they better fix it PDQ!

:D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Oh a Tele Custom! It's got two humbuckers, right?

Different wiring I would say - more like Les Paul scheme.

Let's see if we can look that up.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Hey Vic, it might be more like this:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-0133.html

(well the original message was like 5 days ago. I wonder how it came out)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Or it could be the same as the Double Fat Tele Deluxe. The diagram is on this page:

http://www.squierguitars.com/support.php#productwiringtele

With 2 humbuckers and 2 volume, 2 tone controls, it's pretty much going to be the simpler layout and not one of those coil-tapped pull-pot things.

Hope this helps man.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I would just take it to a guitar tech :idea: or to the shop you got it from :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I'd ditch the double wire and then rewire it according to the diagram of choice ... just make sure everything is properly grounded.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Smokingdog - I thought about taking it back to the shop, but it's out of warranty - they quoted me £25 for soldering three wires, approx 1 mins work - and I've yet to meet the guitar tech who's worth £1500 per hour....

In the end, none of the diagrams really helped - but I do thank anyone who took the time and trouble to hunt them down and send them. Applied logic - 3 wires, two terminals - only four combinations, right? So I tried each one - I was actually first time lucky this time! (But I tried the other 3 ways just to be sure!)

What I'd failed to take into account the first time I tried to fix it was that the clip which holds the jack plug tightly in the socket was bent back and there was no connection - once I'd spotted that, it was plain sailing.

So thanks again everyone for your help, even if I was too thick to understand it!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome.

Glad everything worked out.

Joe

ReplyQuote