Skip to content
Squire Telecaster k...

Notifications
Clear all

Squire Telecaster keeps going out of tune.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

My Squire Telecaster keeps going out of tune.It seems ok when I play rythym,but goes out of tune when I bend the the high strings,G,B,and E.I know it's not the strings because I change them quite often.Do you think maybe the bridge needs adjusting? Or maybe the tuners need tighting? I would hate to buy more tuners,but I will if need be.I've often heard that one of the Squires' downfault is the tuners.What do you think it can be?

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

It's just the un-wound strings?
How many wraps around the tuning post do you have?
The un-wound strings usually need a few more wraps than the wound strings. Maybe 5 or 6, but don't let them pile up on each other.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It should have plenty of wraps around it.It has the same amount that my MIM Strat has. I also have a cheap Epiphone LP jr. that goes out of tune constatly,unless it's tuned to Open E.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Since this is happening on more than one of your guitars, I would venture a guess that the string is slipping on the tuning peg. The wound strings would not be as prone to slippage, since they have some "bite" on the pegs with the wound wraps.Check out youtube for " replacing guitar strings", or something similar.

The guys in videos that I have watched show a few different methods of wrapping strings, but all involve crossing the string under itself in a "locking" manner. It just sorta sounds to me that this could be the issue.

Good luck,
katmetal

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I string all my guitars the same way,it's just the two cheaper ones I have problems with.My Strat I have no problems what so ever.I've been stringing them the same way for over 25 years.As I posted several others have said that in cheaper guitars that the tuners are a problem.The ones on the Squire look about the same as the MIM Strat.I've even had a Fender Bronco that had tuners like a bass,but I strung it regular like a guitar and still haven't had the trouble I do now. It's really frustrating and I can't figure it out.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I do little bending and such, but I found that using a dab of Big Bends Nut Sauce works to help keep strings from binding on a bend or not going all the way back. I also makes bending easier, but that was an ancilary benefit to me.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

My Squire Telecaster keeps going out of tune.It seems ok when I play rythym,but goes out of tune when I bend the the high strings,G,B,and E.I know it's not the strings because I change them quite often.Do you think maybe the bridge needs adjusting? Or maybe the tuners need tighting? I would hate to buy more tuners,but I will if need be.I've often heard that one of the Squires' downfault is the tuners.What do you think it can be?

When you're tuning, do these strings ever go "PING"? If so, they're most likely binding in the nut slots when you bend them. Lube the nut slots with graphite ( a pencil lead does just dandy), or have your favorite guitar shop widen the slots a hair.

Unless the gear teeth are worn to nubs, or the mechanism is VERY loose, tuners don't slip.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote