Clear all

Stain Color

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

How would i go about getting a stain on a guitar like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=517222

The Faded Brown one??? Hope you guys and girls can help!!!

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Send an email to the Guitar ReRanch and ask what they recommend. They have lacquer (or alcohol) reduced wood dyes that should get close.

http://home.flash.net/~guitars/

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@davidp)

Woodburst.com sells many types of colored stains. Maybe something they have will do what you're looking for.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Keep in mind that some wood stains are not compatible with lacquer-based clear coats. If you're going to use a poly finish, it won't matter. If you're going to use lacquer, I'd go with a dye product to be safe.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Any wood store, such as Woodcraft, should be able to help you out. The Gibson SG is made out of mahogany, so if the guitar you are staining ISN'T mahogany, you'll have to match the color. If the guitar IS mahogany, I think you would do ok with a standard mahogany-colored stain.

I recommend that you use Nitro-lacquer as a top coat. It is soft and allows the guitar to breath. Also, better feeling than poly or other "plasticy" type finishes. And, finally, it is easy to apply as the lacquer will easily sand to a smooth finish (ie, you can literally brush it on, and then sand out the brush-stokes, etc once dry).

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I may be wrong, but doesn't the SG Special come without any clear top coat? That is how they get the "faded" look, right?

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

It does look that way but you guys are the experts. What do you think????

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It may be tinted tung or linseed oil -- certainly does not feel like nitro (or poly).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I'm actually going to be using a mahogany body and neck and was considering using the tung oil but didn't even know they made a tinted version. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The faded SG is just a stained mahogany body. No top coat. I don't believe they used ANY topcoat other than just the stain.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I think you are right, Dali. I checked on out & inspected the finish at Guitar Center this weekend. I think it is just a stain on mahogany.

ReplyQuote